Start a new topic

import CSV file into investment account?

I have an investment account and want to import a bunch of transactions. I have those transactions in unstructured, plain-text form from my statements, and want to get them into Moneydance.

The easiest thing to do is make a simple CSV file, or similar format, one line per transactions, and import that. But there does not seem to be a way to import an ad-hoc CSV file of transactions for an investment account. Any suggestions?

Example transaction: a simple purchase. Buy 5 shares of security XYZ on 1/15/2023 at $10. I could have a line in the CSV such as:

date, shares, price, amount, security, transaction_type

1/15/2023, 5.000, 10.00, 50.00, XYZ, Buy

I started working on producing a QIF file, but that format is poorly documented and it would be far easier to make a CSV. How can I create some simple, importable file of my transactions?

1 Comment

Hi Dan,  

Moneydance can't import CSV files into investment type accounts.  

Your inclination towards using QIF is pretty much the only option at this point when it comes to CSV files.

There is an Excel add-on called XL2QIF that I use to convert CSV files to QIF.  

XL2QIF has not been supported for quite a while but it does work in older versions of Excel.  I can't speak to whether or not it works in newer versions.

There are some clever folks out there working on a CSV to OFX importer, but it is still in its infancy.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

Login or Signup to post a comment