Start a new topic

Downloaded transaction categories

Please forgive this question, as I suspect it has been asked/dealt with previously. But I cannot find reference to it in any documentation.

My question: Can or does MoneyDance "automatically" categorize a transaction upon downloading, and assign it to a previously identified category for such a Payor or Payee type? IOW, does MoneyDance "learn" as it goes, so that each like-kind of downloaded transaction need not be manually changed to its correct (non--default) category?

Thanks!

Hi,
Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

I believe you are referring to the feature Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions. When selecting this option from Moneydance/File->Preferences->Network, it automatically merges and categorizes transactions downloaded through direct connections, or imported from your bank's website.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

Hi James,

Did this solve the problem for you? I am still having the same problem. All the downloaded transaction for me show up as the default category (ATM Withdrawals in my case). MD 2022.3 (4077) on Windows 10.

I am setting up an empty account from scratch, linking it to an online account (created through MD+), and then downloading all the transactions. All the transaction show unconfirmed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time

Yes, have same issue - all transactions downloaded from MoneyDance+ use default Category Tag of ATM Withdrawal even though I set 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions'.

Any way to auto categorize? 

This forum is under development hence the lack of response, the main forum is at Infinite Kind Support but is unavailable.

Moneydance will suggest categories for transactions based on previously confirmed transactions, so the software learns over time what it suggests, when the software cannot make a suggestion it shows the first category in the category list, which by default happens to be ATM, or it shows what you have assigned to be the default category for the account.

So in summary for suggestions, transactions that have been previously imported the software uses confirmed transactions for manually entered transactions it uses cleared transactions. The software does not maintain a list instead  it dynamically uses these past transactions for any suggestions made.

Login or Signup to post a comment