How to get started with a budget
Go to Tools > Budget Manager > New. This brings up a blank budget form for you to build a new budget.
Moneydance can also calculate your budget based on past spending activity. See the Knowledge Base article here for instructions.
At the lower left corner of the window you will see a "+" and "-" symbol. Hit the "+" to get a new line to create a new budget item. Then you can begin filling in the columns by double clicking on the line under each column. If you double click in the "category" column it will bring up all the categories you have created along with the standard MD ones. Keep hitting the "+" to add additional categories.
When you select "Interval" make sure you pick whether you want the budget to prorate the data. For example if you enter $100 "monthly" you will see $25 the first week, $50 week 2, etc. If you enter $100 "monthly not prorated" you will see the entire $100 displayed from the first day of the month onwards.
Use "start date" and "end date" to signify when you want an expense or income item to show up. For example, if you want to show an income item (Interest Income @ $100/month) to show up Jan and March you would would set up two separate line items as follows:
If you want the same amount showing up indefinitely, enter a start date but leave the End Date field blank.
- Can I set a Starting Balance for my checking/savings/etc. Account?
- Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- How can I add extra principal payments to a Mortgage?
- How can I edit the items that show up in the "Check#" list (i.e., , Dep, Trn, etc.) ?
- View all (42 more)
- Video Tutorial- How to Sync Moneydance 2011 and earlier via Dropbox with you iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- How to sync with Moneydance 2012
- How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all