Dropbox Sync Problems

Steve106

20 Sep, 2018 11:58 AM

I have Dropbox installed on my Windows 10 PC for general use and also the Dropbox app on my android phone. These work just fine with no issues. Now I want to use my android phone to run the mobile Moneydance app and sync my data with the Moneydance desktop program on the Windows computer. I will also want to sync it with at least one other Windows PC. I have followed the instructions for setting up the sync process via a Dropbox folder but when I try to sync it with the App it fails with a repeated message of no folder found. After some investigation I find that the Moneydance software has created the sync folder in my C Drive directory but my Dropbox is actually installed on the D Drive. How do I move this and re-direct the Moneydance software to the D Drive location for sync activity? (The PC is a dual disc unit with a smaller Solid State Drive - this is the C Drive that I use for applications and a large Hard Drive that I use for data, the D Drive)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 20 Sep, 2018 12:46 PM

Hi Steve,

In order to utilise syncing, you should ensure you're running the same version and build of Moneydance on all computers you'd like to sync with.
    To check the version you're running, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

The latest stable version is 2017.8 build 1691 and can be downloaded from this page if you're running an older build.

Can you let me know which sync method you've selected when you setup syncing?

Using the Dropbox Folder sync method, the Dropbox folder on your system must be stored in the default location, and with the default name. This should be within your 'User' folder.
    Have you tried using the Dropbox Connection sync method? Using this sync method, you can authorise Moneydance access from your Dropbox account using a web browser.
    Alternatively, try using the 'Shared Folder' sync method and specify the Dropbox folder on your system. You should ensure the shared folder you create is called '.moneydancesync' (without the quotes).

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Steve106 on 20 Sep, 2018 01:01 PM

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have the latest version of Moneydance installed. I was using the Dropbox folder method as I don't always have a good connection where I am located. Your suggestion of the 'Shared Folder' sync method makes sense to me but it seems that Windows doesn't let me create a folder with a name that starts with a dot. How do I get around this?

3. 3 Posted by Steve106 on 20 Sep, 2018 03:46 PM

By way of a further update, I have now managed to get the sync working with the Android App. I have seen a lot of comments on the Google Play store to the effect that the Moneydance App errors out with the message of 'No folder found' and doesn't work! I think that this is likely to be because the Moneydance desktop software assumes that the user's Dropbox folders will be on the C Drive and hence it creates the sync folder in that location. If the user's Dropbox folders are installed elsewhere and the Dropbox on a user's phone is already mapped to that location....the Moneydance App won't find the special sync folder that has been created by the desktop version!
    I overcame this by using the suggested Shared Folder option to map the location of the sync files into a Dropbox folder. I found that Windows is set to block the creation of folders with names starting with a dot but that I could create the .moneydancesync folder in Dropbox from my Android phone with no problems. Internet research has also revealed that I could have done this in Windows by adding a dot to the end of the folder name....which would then be stripped off when the folder is created....weird huh!
    The final outcome seems like the best of both worlds as I don't need an active Dropbox connection and can use my existing Dropbox directory structure even though it is not in the location that Moneydance expected.
    I'd suggest that notes to this effect should be added to the article on syncing as it will likely save some people a lot of time and frustration.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 21 Sep, 2018 09:23 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The inability to create a directory with the name .moneydancesync is a "feature" of File Explorer, some other File Managers allow it to be created, some don't, and you can also create it using the command line.

I would have expected that the option of using Dropbox Folder would not appear unless you have a folder named Dropbox in the default location - whether it is being used or not.

The use of non-default Dropbox location has come up before and the solution there was to use the Shared folder approach, it is my understanding that the two are really the same it is just that the Dropbox Folder option is like a shortcut when the user has a dropbox folder in the default location.

It has been suggested that this be documented, along with a solution that allows users with different dropbox accounts to also share the data, as the solution present in the knowledge base articles assumes one dropbox account only.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Dec, 2018 11:28 AM
19 Dec, 2018 08:39 AM
19 Dec, 2018 08:19 AM