My .moneydancesync folder, can I delete dated old files?

martin

04 May, 2018 03:04 PM

On my Drop sync, first level folders in .moneydancesync folder, named 1d076 etc, 54gf66 etc and so on.

First is date stamped 30 April. Last is date stamped 'today'.

On my Mac, MD opening with last data, fine. On my Windows 7, opening to the transactions of 30 April.

Thinking of deleting the folders up to today.

Will this cause damage?

(Had a bit of to and fro initially, between Mac and Windows. MD/Dropboxmay have got confused.)

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 May, 2018 10:25 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Assuming you are running Moneydance 2017 the best way forward is to reset syncing.

You need to know which your primary computer is. This is the one you can change the syncing method under FILE – SYNCING. On your second computer you can’t change the syncing method. You will lose any data on your second computer that has not been synced to your primary computer. If this is a big problem post for alternative instructions.

Use FILE – BACKUP on your primary computer in case something goes wrong.
    Update your build of Moneydance on both computers from https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software
    RESET SYNCING

1. If you have mobile devices use there setting menu to disconnect.

2. Set primary computer “Sync Method” to “Don’t Sync” under FILE – SYNCING, then click OK.

3. On your primary computer use FILE – EXPORT BACKUP to save a backup in case something goes wrong.

4. On your second computer click on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER to open a file explorer, close Moneydance and delete your data sets “yourdatasetname.moneydance”.

5. Using your primary computer in the Dropbox folder delete the folder “.moneydancesync”. Watch the Dropbox icon and wait till it states “Up to Date”. This can talk some time.

6. In your second computer check that in the Dropbox folder that the folder “.moneydancesync” has been automatically deleted. You need to give Dropbox a short time to complete this deletion.

7. On your primary computer under FILE - SYNCING, set your “Encryption Passphrase”, set “Sync Method” to “Dropbox Folder”, click OK.

8. Wait for Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and its contents to be created. Check the Dropbox icon states “Up to Date”. This can take some time.

9. Wait until the same Dropbox folder appears on your second computer, again watch the Dropbox icon this time on your second computer and wait till it states “Up to Date”.

10. On your second computer starting Moneydance should open it in the welcome window, click on “Create a new account set”.

11. Select “Open Synced File” and use dropdown to select “Dropbox Folder” then click NEXT.

12. You should see a search screen headed “Select a synced document to open”

13. After a short search delay, it should then list your un-synced data set name used on your primary computer.

14. Highlight your data set name and click NEXT.

15. Enter the encryption password, the “Encryption Passphrase” you set on your primary computer under FILE – SYNCING.

16. Then click on FINISH. Wait for your data to be synced.

You may find a lot of old, maybe closed accounts or other accounts you have removed from the side bar reappearing in the second computers side bar. Use the “+” sign at bottom of side bar then ADVANCED to tidy up the side bar.
    If in any step you don’t get things how I describe, detail what you are seeing, including screen shots.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by martin on 06 May, 2018 02:35 PM

Derek, thanks for this info.

But it hasn't worked out for me.

Maybe because I was trying to set my Mac as the primary, when the old
    Windows was the first to have MD installed.

I'm minded to uninstall MD completely on the old Windows, re-install
    only when Mac and iPhone and iPad are synced from Mac.

So I have a backup on the Mac. This is up-to-date and importing
    correctl, the data anyway. Does it contain syncing info?

If I uninstall from Mac, start from scratch, what is my procedure to set
    syncing to Dropbox Folder, and to get my data from the backup? The order
    of things.

This is confusing.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 May, 2018 03:13 PM

If you have established that you Mac is your second computer, under FILE – SYNCING the syncing method can’t be changed, then uninstalling Moneydance on your windows primary computer will not help. Uninstalling Moneydance and re-installing it on you Mac and then restoring a backup made on your Mac will not change the fact that your Mac is a second computer. The data set determines if it is a primary or second data set, not the Moneydance program itself.

There are a number of ways to make a second computer your primary computer.

1. Manually move your data set from your primary computer to you second computer. This assumes the data on your primary computer is up to date.
    2. Convert your second computer data set into a primary data set.
      In both cases you would then start syncing from scratch to your other devices using the Mac as your primary computer.

I can post a procedure to do one or two if you want?

4. 4 Posted by martin on 06 May, 2018 03:17 PM

Derek. OK, I’ve understood that.

What are the instructions for option 2? My Mac is up to date, but is the second computer.I think.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 May, 2018 05:42 PM

The following procedure should be performed on your second computer to turn it into your primary computer.

Support have provided a file called "md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py" that should convert your second computer data set into a primary computer data set, see attached. Before proceeding, please back up your Moneydance data set, just in case something goes wrong. You can create a manual backup using the FILE -EXPORT BACKUP.

To use the .py file, first save it to your computer, somewhere you can easily access it like your downloads folder or your desktop. Then follow these steps:

1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Python Scripting.
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.
    5. Close and reopen Moneydance.

Click FILE - SYNCING, and you should now be able to select the required sync method. The best and most flexible option is called “Dropbox Folder”. You can now set up syncing from scratch.

Hope this helps

6. 6 Posted by martin on 07 May, 2018 11:13 AM

Thanks, Derek. I have access to Sync options now.

But before I go any further, my data set has ended up being named a very, very long random string. Where can I change it to something more meaningful?

On 6 May 2018 at 18:43:04, derekkent23 ([email blocked]) wrote:

#!/usr/bin/env python
    # Python script to be run in Moneydance to perform amazing feats of financial scripting

from com.infinitekind.moneydance.model import *

import sys
    import time

# get the default environment variables, set by Moneydance
    print "The Moneydance app controller: %s"%(moneydance)
    print "The current data set: %s"%(moneydance_data)
    print "The UI: %s"%(moneydance_ui)

moneydance_data.getLocalStorage().put("_is_master_node", True)

7. 7 Posted by martin on 07 May, 2018 11:21 AM

Oh dear. I have set Sync to Dropbox Folder but the program closes without actually syncing to Dropbox folder.

..moneydancesync folder is empty.

On 6 May 2018 at 18:43:04, derekkent23 ([email blocked]) wrote:

#!/usr/bin/env python
    # Python script to be run in Moneydance to perform amazing feats of financial scripting

from com.infinitekind.moneydance.model import *

import sys
    import time

# get the default environment variables, set by Moneydance
    print "The Moneydance app controller: %s"%(moneydance)
    print "The current data set: %s"%(moneydance_data)
    print "The UI: %s"%(moneydance_ui)

moneydance_data.getLocalStorage().put("_is_master_node", True)

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 May, 2018 06:01 PM

You can change your data set name see http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/renaming...

What version/build of Moneydance are you running see under HELP - ABOUT MONEYDANCE. e.g. 2017.7.1(1671).

9. 9 Posted by martin on 08 May, 2018 11:00 AM

Data set name successfully changed.

Moneydance version is 2017.7.1 (1671), macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 May, 2018 11:05 AM

Are things now working or do yo still have problems?

11. 11 Posted by martin on 08 May, 2018 11:10 AM

Still problems.

Not prompted for encryption key on startup, only backs up, no syncing on close. .moneydancesync folder empty, in root of Dropbox.

12. 12 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 May, 2018 01:29 PM

Not sure I understand what you mean by
    “Not prompted for encryption key on startup, only backs up”.

The password to open Moneydance when you start Moneydance is set under FILE – PASSWORDS “Set Master Password” box ticked and password entered in Password and Confirm.

Click FILE – SYNCING. set syncing method to don’t sync. Check by clicking on Show Passphrase” that a pass phase has been entered. Set syncing method to Dropbox Folder.
    Wait for data to be synced to “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox, this can take some minutes.

If you still think the “.moneydancesync” folder is empty close moneydance and post the errlog.txt file this is in the ”.moneydance” folder on your hard drive.

Hope this helps

13. 13 Posted by martin on 08 May, 2018 02:36 PM

When I start, I am not prompted for the Dropbox encryption pass phrase.

When closing, it says ‘backing up’, not ‘encrypting file and backing up’.

The moneydancesync folder exists but is empty.

The error log is saying that this folder doesn’t exist. Attached the error log.

Maybe I should be removing the Dropbox link and starting a new one?

14. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 May, 2018 03:37 PM

From the errlog.txt it looks like the program is looking for a folder in Dropbox “.moneydancesync” it can’t find. With Moneydance shut down deleting “.moneydancesync” folder may force Moneydance to recreate the required folders. Worth a try.

It this does not help post another errlog.txt

Hope this helps

15. 15 Posted by martin on 08 May, 2018 06:19 PM

I turned off file syncing in MD. Exited. Deleted the moneydancesync folder at the root of Dropbox.

Restarted MD, tried to set syncing to Dropbox Folder, beep. Not allowed.

Error log attached

16. 16 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 May, 2018 06:48 PM

I need to know exactly what you are doing. Remember I can’t see what’s happening. You need to describe exactly the steps you are performing, including the wording of messages in dialog boxes with screen shots of every step. This way I might get a clear picture and may be able to spot what’s going wrong. “beep. Not allowed” does not give me any clues.

17. 17 Posted by martin on 09 May, 2018 02:22 PM

OK, I will give screenshots, if necessary. But I will try and explain better!

I have been up-to-date with recent transactions on MD Mac. Saving well to the local folder. Last data set always comes back.

So I set Syncing to ‘Do not sync’. Exit. Delete the .moneydancesync folder.

Go to Dropbox, remove MD as an allowed app.

Back to MD.

Now I want to make Dropbox Folder as sync method. Choose it, then OK, but it beeps. Can’t go further.

This is the sticking point. If I can get past this, I hope Windows 7, iPhone and iPad will be fine, once MD is reinstalled on them.

And I wouldn’t trust Dropbox Connection, if there are errors on Dropbox Folder.

What is the difference again?

18. 18 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 May, 2018 04:34 PM

From your description this stands out.

“Go to Dropbox, remove MD as an allowed app.”

This could explain why Moneydance can’t sync to your Dropbox Folder, you have removed Moneydances access to Dropbox.

I am not that familiar with Dropbox. In your Dropbox account if Moneydance is still listed can you allow it access again or maybe ensure the “.moneydancesync” folder is set to “Share”.

19. 19 Posted by martin on 05 Jun, 2018 01:56 PM

Derek, thanks for all your help.

But it was never resolved, and in fact got worse. MD wasn't accurate.

So I've just moved to SEE Finance 2, with the full QIF export from MD (including Account Adjustments!)

Works well and syncs to iCloud.

Thanks again

20. martin closed this discussion on 05 Jun, 2018 01:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Sep, 2018 11:25 PM
21 Sep, 2018 11:18 PM
21 Sep, 2018 11:06 PM