problems importing

Linda Arbuckle

13 Mar, 2018 01:20 AM

Hello. I'm auditioning MoneyDance. Trying to import my files from AceMoney in Quicken format. I seem to have to export/ import each account separately. For my credit card, (my largest and first I tried to import) it isn't recognizing my transfer payments, and just keeps a running balance. Any suggestions about how to navigate this? Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 13 Mar, 2018 06:08 AM

I'm a fellow user.

What does a transfer transaction look like in the QIF file? This may give us some clue as to what is or should be happening.

2. 2 Posted by Linda Arbuckle on 13 Mar, 2018 01:17 PM

Not sure how to answer that. It’s a transaction that comes from an account, is indicated as a transfer rather than withdrawal or deposit, and shows the other account it’s transferred to. The receiving account shows the payee as “transfer from <account name>” and shows the amount in the deposit column.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 13 Mar, 2018 08:03 PM

I mean the data that is in the QIF file itself, for example a transfer of $61 from a Cheque Account to a Savings Account would look something like the following in the downloaded QIF file for the Cheque Account

PTransfer to Savings Account from Chq A/C
    L[Savings Account]

4. 4 Posted by Linda Arbuckle on 13 Mar, 2018 10:20 PM

No idea, as I don’t know how to get specific software to open that kind of file. AceMoney will import or export, but does not show me specific text of the file. Right now MoneyDance is the default for opening QIF files, and when double-clicked, it opens in MoneyDance. Computer does not offer any other options (e.g. Notepad) for opening a QIF file.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 13 Mar, 2018 10:26 PM

QIF files are just text files so can be opened in notepad or a word processor etc. By having them associated with Moneydance, which is fine for what you ultimately want, it just means you have to take a slightly different approach to opening them with another program.

For example I would probably open a QIF file with Windows Accessory Wordpad if I wanted to examine the file (there are reasons for not using notepad here) but to do so I would start Wordpad first then use its open menu command to navigate to the QIF file and open it that way

6. 6 Posted by Linda Arbuckle on 13 Mar, 2018 11:28 PM

Very helpful, thanks.

A sample transaction from the QIf file looks like this:

PMarathon Oil

LAuto Fuel

But the transfer files are not there.

Ahh, I imported my checking account, and the transfers seem to come with the parent account. But, the second checking account I have when imported does not seem to bring the transfers, so many are still missing. I can tell this will take more sleuthing.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 14 Mar, 2018 03:45 AM

You now know how to check the QIF files so you can see what transactions are there.

If there are missing transactions then there is nothing that Moneydance can do about that it can only work with what is in the file, so it may come down to what Ace Money is doing on the export.

8. 8 Posted by Linda Arbuckle on 14 Mar, 2018 01:54 PM

Thanks for your help and patience!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Mar, 2018 06:11 AM
19 Mar, 2018 02:27 AM
19 Mar, 2018 02:14 AM
19 Mar, 2018 01:22 AM