Investments: Trying to add a buy transaction, will default to xfr

Eric Kellner

15 Jan, 2018 01:51 AM

Hello,
I would like to use Moneydance instead of Quicken 2007 for Mac. I imported my accounts as a QIF. My IRA account was split into two different accounts. The IRA account had all of the deposits, the "Imported Investment Account" had all of the transactions (buy, sell, div., etc) Since I cannot merge them or batch move, I printed off all of the transactions hoping to add them as a new transaction. When I tried to add a new transaction into the IRA account, I used BUY as the action. Tabbing to the next column the "BUY" action was transformed to "XFR". I can not add any details.
Any help would be appreciated.
Eric

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 15 Jan, 2018 08:17 PM

It sounds like there are no securities in the IRA account.

Investment accounts require multiple steps, after the security is created it must be added to the investment account you want to use it in. Securities are not just available to all or any account after it is created it has to be specifically made available to the account.

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/investment-accounts/adding-securities

2. 2 Posted by Eric Kellner on 16 Jan, 2018 02:13 AM

That is correct. There are no securities in the IRA account. When importing the Quicken QIF, Moneydance took the Quicken IRA account and made it into two different accounts. One called IRA that contained only the deposits and another called "Imported Investment Account that included the securities and dividends etc. I have not been able to merge them.
    So, do I need to create the securities, add them into the IRA account and then delete the "Imported Investment Account", and hope it doesn't affect any other of my accounts?
    Thanks

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 16 Jan, 2018 07:56 AM

I am but a fellow user.

You sound like you have the securities created already if they are part of the Imported Investment Account account, you do not create a security more than once, but a security can be assigned to more than one account.

I'm afraid there is no way to merge accounts.

The importation of QIF files involves a number of factors. Firstly how Quicken exports the data, if this is a problem there is little that can be done that does not involve work, another is how Moneydance interprets the QIF file, this we can have some impact on, but it is mostly in ensuring that accounts are defined as appropriate as are categories, fortunately this is where most interpretation problem occur as the QIF specification is ambiguous in this area.

4. 4 Posted by Eric Kellner on 17 Jan, 2018 06:11 AM

Thanks for the help. Yes, the securities were created and part of the Imported Investment Account. I added them to the IRA account and had to do some more clean up, but got them where I wanted. Deleted the Imported Investment Account, which did not screw up any other accounts.
    Another Investment difference between Quicken and Moneydance, I noticed, was quicken allows one to reconcile the share quantity, while Moneydance seems to reconcile dollar amounts.
    Eric

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac