Pulling the plug on Quicken

Not Provided

14 Jan, 2018 02:09 AM

Q for former Quicken users:
I've been using Quicken since MS Money went down. Lately, I've been looking for alternatives and Moneydance sounds promising. I've started using it in parallel w/ Quicken and so far so good. Now, as I'm thinking of pulling the plug on Quicken, what Quicken features am I going to miss once I completely switch to Moneydance?

1. 1 Posted by rasmith1959 on 16 Jan, 2018 02:57 PM

Hi! I din't have an answer to your question as I'm in the same boat you are. I too switched to Quicken after MS Money went away, and now that Quicken is changing to a subscription type service, I'm using MoneyDance in parallel with Quicken. I too am wondering the same thing you are, so I'll be watching this thread to see what's going on.

2. 2 Posted by -Kevin N. on 16 Jan, 2018 06:47 PM

Hi

The trial version of Moneydance is fully functional aside from it's limit on manually entered transactions.

If you are missing something from the trial version, then that's what you'll miss in using Moneydance exclusively.

Something that you might not miss is being hounded to upgrade your license key every several years. Moneydance does not sunset the product. e.g. I still use MD 2011.

I also still use MS Money in parallel with Moneydance. There is a free program called Pocketsense that allows users to update stock quotes and use direct-connect to those financial institutions that provide it. Pocketsense essentially makes MS Money fully functional again.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 16 Jan, 2018 08:19 PM

There is no way anyone else can tell you what features are in Quicken that you will miss using Moneydance, or indeed any features that are in Moneydance that you would have personally have used if they had of been in Quicken only you can answer these type of questions.

A feature for feature comparison list does not exist, that would take quite some compiling especially with the different versions of Quicken offered.

Personally I would say in the basic features they are very comparable, although they can be different to use, Quicken I feel is more capable in the Investment area. Moneydance is not aimed at the Small Business market so does not have those features.

4. 4 Posted by Michael on 16 Jan, 2018 09:30 PM

I too have been running both MD and Quicken.. My Quicken is 2000, and in my view, despite its age, its still a lot better than Moneydance. Quickens investment stuff is much easier to use, and to tailor to your own requirements You can build reports to what you want not what some programmer thinks you want.. I have just upgraded to the latest version of MD- hoping to find some improvement in this area.. What a waste of money. Apart from a few cosmetic changes, it is just as it was. If you don't want the investment stuff its OK, though I still prefer Quicken for ease of use. And if you do track investments, I would definitely stick with Quicken.,

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac