Import File Formats

Domenic Costanzino

14 Dec, 2017 04:18 AM

I exported my Quicken file in QXF however when I try to import to Moneydance, I get an error message saying 'unknown file type'. QXF is supposed to be a supported file format.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 14 Dec, 2017 04:38 AM

I think you may have misread the supported file types. QFX is one of the supported formats but not QXF which is a proprietary format for transferring data between Quicken versions. To extract data from Quicken that can be imported into Moneydance it is necessary to export into QIF format.

There are too many formats with similar names.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Dec, 2017 08:30 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Many people have successfully transferred from Quicken.

See the set of articles relating to this topic at When you follow the steps in the article above make sure you follow the steps accurately, in particular, make sure you specify to Import into a new account rather than an existing account. Also make sure you set the source to "From another program".
    It is highly recommended to export all data into a single QIF file, as doing so makes the import process much smoother. Please use the option in Quicken to export "all accounts" if available.
    Quicken does not always export the initial balance for each account. After importing into Moneydance, highlight an account, click on ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT and set an “Initial Balance”. Do this for each account.

For general information see

If you have specific issues give as much detail as you can and support or others will answer your questions.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Dec, 2017 11:25 AM

4. System closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2018 11:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac