Where are the data files/?

Phil M

14 Sep, 2017 01:47 AM

Hi there,

I am (still) in the process of migrating from Quicken to MoneyDance. I want to know if I can store/keep the data file in a document folder? How do I do that?
What is the file suffix and extension.?
How do I get MoneyDance to use it as the default file?

I also want to be able port the active file to my backup computer, so that I can work on either computer (not at the same time).

Thanks in advance.

Phil M.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Sep, 2017 07:18 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

The data set is not a file, it is a folder which contains other folders and files. The naming convention is yourdatasetname.moneydance. The default location for a data set can be found by clicking on HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER in Moneydance. This should open your file finder. If you won’t to move your data set, close Moneydance and move your data set to the new location. Open Moneydance which should open in the Welcome to Moneydance window. Click on “Open others” and navigate to your data set in it new location and click on your data set folder. Moneydance will remember this new location.

Moneydance has an inbuilt sync engine which allows you to work on the same data set on two computers at different or even at the same time. You have a number of options to do this the best and most flexible is called “Dropbox Folder”. See http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data You will need to download and install the free version of the cloud sharing client from Dropbox.

I also use Dropbox as my backup location in case my local hard drive fails. Moneydance has an automatic daily backup and a manual backup “Export Backup” which you can perform at any time.

I would also advise updating to the latest preview build as this fixes some syncing and other issues.
    Download from https://infinitekind.com/preview

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by onlinefile13 on 14 Sep, 2017 09:35 PM

Derek (I think)

Thanks for the guidance. I have it all sorted out. I’m a little different than

proficient people. I keep a second copy on my backup pc, by just doing a copy-paste.

I did however set the preferences to the locations that I want to backup to on my

primary pc, and the work file location on my backup pc.

Just for the record, I was a computer programmer for 20+ years. I also did customer

support work for a few companies. However I’m getting older and the technology

is just changing quicker than my graymatter can switch to. . I guess teaching old

dogs new tricks is not always easy

Thanks Again,

Phil

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac