Accounts have different parent

David Read

19 May, 2017 05:44 PM

I have just moved my records from Quicken 98 to Moneydance, and have now noticed that the Bank Accounts have one parent, and the Credit Cards and Assets have a different parent.

This is what I did:
Created a new Moneydance file and called it 'b'
Imported Quicken files and tidied up.
I then wanted to make changes to the Investment accounts, but as it had taken several days to get to this point (30 years of data!) I wanted do a 'Save as', then work on the new file, but Moneydance does not offer this.
So I tried this:
Exit Moneydance, so 'b' was saved
Open Moneydance and did an Export Backup using the suggested name of b-20170516-1748.moneydancearchive
Did a Restore from Backup, using b-20170516-1748.moneydancearchive
Exit Moneydance
Renamed the folder in Documents from b-20170516.moneydance to Finances.moneydance
Opened Moneydance and the welcome screen allowed me to choose Finances.
All good.

Now when I look at the parent account of any Bank Account it says 'Finances' but the parent account of any Credit Card, Asset, or Liability Account is 'b'

Is this expected, or will it cause problems further down the line?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 20 May, 2017 07:04 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

You can assign each account a parent or group accounts under the same parent. A parent is in fact just another account. Highlight an account whose parent you won’t to change in the side bar, click ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT. Use the drop down next to “Parent Account” to select its parent account. You can select the base account which is the name of your data set, in your case “Finance”. Alternatively you could use ACCOUNT – NEW ACCOUNT to create new accounts, say “Bank Accounts”, “Credit Card Accounts”, etc. then group your accounts under these accounts as parents.
    Usually you don’t make any entries in these parent account registers, they are just used to group your accounts under these parent accounts. Another advantage of grouping similar account types under a parent is that the parent in the side bar shows the total value of the individual accounts under it.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by David Read on 20 May, 2017 10:15 AM

Hi Derek - thanks for coming in here - that's really useful information about grouping accounts together.

My issue is a little more specific, which I glossed over in the original post because it was getting kinda long, and I've found a little more thanks to your post.

When doing Account -> Edit Account... on a Bank Account, it shows the Parent Account as 'Finances'.
    In the dropdown for Parent Account it shows 'Finances' as the Base account and clicking on it doesn't change the Parent account - as expected.

However, when doing Account -> Edit Account... on a Credit Card Account, it shows the Parent Account as 'b'.
    In the dropdown for Parent Account it also shows 'Finances' as the Base account but clicking on it doesn't change the Parent account - it is still set to 'b'

It is the same (as Credit Cards) for Asset and Liability accounts.

As a bit more of an explanation, the pointer for noticing this was I was having some trouble getting Securities updated from the web, and looked in the Console Window, where there were multiple entries showing 'account updated:b; info:....'

I couldn't see any entries for 'account updated:Finances...'

Since I've just spent many days getting all the records from Quicken with lots of manual steps (82 accounts with multiple currencies) I wanted to make sure I'm on a firm footing for the years to come with Moneydance.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 20 May, 2017 02:22 PM

I am note support staff, just a user.

One thing I didn’t make clear is that the only account names listed in the ACCOUNT – EDIT ACCOUNT “Parent Account” Drop Down are accounts of the same type or the base name (data set name). The types being Bank, Credit Card, Investments, etc. Thus if you make the Parent for an account that is of the Bank Account type it will be listed under Bank. If you take a look at the PNG I posted “Account structure in side bar” you will see I set up a Bank Type account called “Current Account” (this has no entries in its register it only used as a group name) and used it to group my two bank type accounts “My Wallet” and “Santander Current Account”. Then set up another Bank type account called “Savings Account” and used that to group my two savings accounts under.
    Can you post a similar screen shot of your side bar, it may help to explain why you are having problems grouping as you would like.
    You state “When doing Account -> Edit Account... on a Bank Account, it shows the Parent Account as 'Finances'.
    In the dropdown for Parent Account it shows 'Finances' as the Base account and clicking on it doesn't change the Parent account - as expected.”
    If Finance is selected as the parent only selecting another account name in the drop down will change the parent name. So what you are getting is what I would expect. You would need to set up other accounts of the same type so they would appear in the drop down and be selectable as a parent, as with my example “Current Accounts” above.
    Then you state “However, when doing Account -> Edit Account... on a Credit Card Account, it shows the Parent Account as 'b'.
    In the dropdown for Parent Account it also shows 'Finances' as the Base account but clicking on it doesn't change the Parent account - it is still set to 'b'”.
    This I wouldn’t expect.
    As it seems that you are having particular difficulty with the parent for credit card type accounts can you also post a screen shot similar to mine “Account Edit on Credit Card with Parent Account Drop Down expanded”. This may help to understand why you can’t change the parent away from “b”.
    It may help support if you also post your error log file (errlog.txt), which is an expanded version of the console window. Delete any data you feel is sensitive before you post the log.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by David Read on 22 May, 2017 12:28 PM

Sorry I cannot see how to attach a screenshot in this forum
    But it wouldn't really tell you anything - it would need a video i.e. clicking on the ' Finances Base' selection leaves the Parent Account as 'b'

Any support staff keen to chip in here?

The problem is repeatable.
    Try this:
    File -> New
    Lets call it 'Fred'
    File -> Export Backup
    File -> Restore from Backup - choose the same file you exported.
    Exit Moneydance
    There will be a folder in ....moneydance\Documents\ called something like Fred-20170522-1000.moneydance
    Rename it to Mary.moneydance
    Open Moneydance
    Choose Mary
    Create a new Credit Card account
    The Parent account will be Fred, but the dropdown Base will be Mary and Fred won't change.

Perhaps this is all irrelevant - Moneydance seems to work just fine - buy there's a worrying inconsistency.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 May, 2017 07:11 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I followed the steps you detailed and agree that the base account name in the account type “Credit Card” remains as Fred, when it should have changed to Mary. The two Bank type accounts, Current and Saving however do have the correct base account name Mary. Although the base name for credit type accounts is wrong I could not see any adverse effects. The reports I looked at seemed to be OK.

But I agree support should look at this and comment.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac