Import qif from Quicken 2007 for Mac

bo

06 Aug, 2016 12:46 AM

I exported my data from Quicken 2007 for Mac, told my trial version of MoneyDance to import it, waited a while, and it looked almost good.

But the balance on my main checking account was off. I investigated the first difference in balance, starting when the account was created. The first difference was at a transaction that was split, and had a two lines that both transfer to an account that is long since hidden. That hidden account *is* present in MoneyDance. But one transaction in Quicken appears as two transactions in Moneydance; the transfer is double-counted.

I attach screen shots, and note the line that seems "invented" by the money dance import process.

Do you have advice about how to make the import work accurately? I would certainly love to escape from Quicken, but I am loathe to risk my data that goes back to 1992.

Thanks,

Bo

1. 1 Posted by TonyRI on 06 Aug, 2016 11:57 AM

Hi Bo,

I'd like to start off by saying that I recently "escaped" Quicken. I researched a bit and tried various programs before settling on Moneydance and I am SO happy that I did.

Here is a troubleshooting article from the Moneydance Knowledge Base, regarding your import problems from Quicken:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-banks-and-other...

I believe that you mentioned that you attached screen shots, but there are no screen shots that I can see that are associated with your comment.

I had used Quicken for about 15 years prior to switching to Moneydance. I used to panic about losing old data, however I actually set up Moneydance as New a few weeks ago. This is just my opinion (and I know that everyone's financial statuses are different), but my main concern about finances is my current situation (recent charges, outstanding checks, current ledger balances, accounts reconciliation and upcoming reminders/bills). In this day and age, I know that I can always obtain archival information from any of my bank/credit/payee websites. That said, I TOTALLY understand your desire to import ALL of your old data and have everything work perfectly within the Moneydance Application. I would, however, suggest that you get your import to a good spot, make some manual adjustments after importing and then go forward.

For instance, you can certainly delete unwanted transactions from your import and make necessary adjustments to the Accounts' "Initial Balance(s)" to reconcile correctly.

You can also "Hide" Inactive Accounts:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/24968-hide-inacti...

Additionally, you can keep your old version of Quicken. You don't have to delete it to use Moneydance. So your data from 1992 will remain intact on your Mac via Quicken. You can also run the programs side-by-side for awhile and make a decision as to which one to keep down the line. That's what I did (I've since uninstalled Quicken and deleted old backups).

I hope that you are able to get your import to the condition that you desire. I am not trying to dissuade you from getting every last bit of data from your old program to perfectly import into Moneydance, I am just offering a different perspective on manners to accommodate your transition from Quicken to Moneydance because I, like you, loved the idea of escaping from Quicken.

Best of Luck,

Tony

2. 2 Posted by bo on 07 Aug, 2016 02:29 AM

Your response was helpful, but I am still having trouble. I closed
    Moneydance, deleted the existing MoneyDance files (
    /Users/bo/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/), opened
    MoneyDance, and it offered me this screen:

Then I selected "Import new account set", and configured it this way.

I expect when that operation finishes to have a set of accounts all with
    zero balances. But many (not all) of my accounts had balances.

How can I get the initial account import to actually import account info
    only?

Bo

3. 3 Posted by TonyRI on 08 Aug, 2016 12:39 AM

I'm sorry Bo. I wish that I could help you, but I don't know the answer. I'm sure that the Support Staff will be able to assist you in figuring things out.

Good Luck,

Tony

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ian O on 11 Aug, 2016 11:46 AM

Hi Bo,

Some QIF files include the initial balance transfer, and some don't it depends on software you are using. It sounds like your QIF file may not have this included, you can amend this by highlighting the relevant account and selecting Account --> Edit Account, and amending the 'Initial Balance' field. This should be the account balance 'before' the first transaction in the register.

This article details the most common issues that can occur during a migration from Quicken.

If after looking into the above you are still encountering issues, please let me know and we can look into further options.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. System closed this discussion on 10 Nov, 2016 11:50 AM.

6. bo re-opened this discussion on 23 Mar, 2018 11:17 PM

7. 5 Posted by bo on 23 Mar, 2018 11:17 PM

For anyone who is interested, I tried again. This year I had success. Some of my accounts had inaccurate balances, but I was able to trace down and manually fix all the problems.

In some cases they were due to splits. If a transaction in Quicken 2007 had multiple split lines that went to the same target account, MoneyDance ended up with the split lines *and* an extra line that represented the sum of the split lines.

8. 6 Posted by john.prewitt on 13 Jun, 2018 04:50 PM

I also had split problems and determine that the problem is due to how Quicken 2007 handles multiple split lines that go to the same target account. Quicken 2007 sums the multiple splits and creates a single transaction in the target account rather than multiple transactions. Moneydance finds that single transaction in the target account and creates a matching transaction near the original split transaction. Thus the double count. Deleting the summed transactions in the target account will deleting the extra transactions in the original account.

9. System closed this discussion on 12 Sep, 2018 05:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac