How to use Quicken .QDF file in Money dance

Hal Nomann

07 Dec, 2018 08:14 PM

I just started by downloading and installing MoneyDance. I used Quicken for years and want to switch. How do I access my old data *.QDF format files?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 07 Dec, 2018 08:29 PM

I'm a fellow user.

QDF is a proprietary Quicken format and other software products cannot read the data. It is necessary to use Quicken itself to export the data in a more universal format and this is generally the QIF format, which contains raw transaction information.

How to import QIF files into Moneydance is discussed in a number of knowledge base articles at:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/importing-data-from-other-programs

2. 2 Posted by Hal Nomann on 08 Dec, 2018 02:44 PM

Thanks, to summarize a long story, I was running Quicken on a Vista machine.  I wanted to run new software that would NOT run on Vista.  So, I bought a machine with Win 10 installed and moved my hard drives to the new machine.  Then Vista Quicken would not work on Win 10.  I did this before knowing that I needed to use Quicken export to convert my data for use with a Q alternative.  I had bought a Q2015 but never installed it.  Now, "install" stops me when I must register my software--no around the registration process that I could find.  I never liked the way Q pushed me to update every year.  
    Now, should I try to move hard drives and get the Vista Quicken to work again, or Get my Q2015 to work, or buy a new version of Q and hope it will work with my old .qdf?
    Thanks again.  Hal
        On ‎Friday‎, ‎December‎ ‎7‎, ‎2018‎ ‎01‎:‎29‎:‎09‎ ‎PM‎ ‎MST, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 08 Dec, 2018 07:41 PM

No surprise that Q2015 would not register, Q would want an upgrade fee at the very least.

I'm not in the US so have no idea if Quicken offer a trial period for their software, I would personally like to avoid paying them more if I possibly could, so as a first step I would probably try to get Vista working again.

4. 4 Posted by -Kevin N. on 08 Dec, 2018 09:00 PM

Hi Hal,

Do you know anyone with a working version of Quicken that you could use to export your data?

At the risk of stating the obvious, Quicken sounds like a nightmare.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac