Moneydance 2019

Marco Gil

30 Nov, 2018 03:16 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to get any more details around your upcoming version of Moneydance 2019. Any expected timeline for the official release, pricing, and what features will be added? I'm considering switching from another solution provider.

Thanks
Marco

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 30 Nov, 2018 07:41 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It is the general policy that future products are not discussed in any detail, nor are potential release dates.

As the product gets closer to beta testing some features may get mentioned, once in public Beta testing we will have a better idea. At this stage the two things I have seen mentioned are:

- Better housekeeping of the transaction files
    - The basis of an alternative to Direct Connect for the download of transactions from Financial Institutions

The fact that we are seeing talk of some features means to me we are getting close to official testing.

The price of Moneydance has been USD50 for quite some years.

2. 2 Posted by tonyk1321 on 03 Dec, 2018 05:47 PM

For a follow-up question, when Moneydance 2019 is available, will it be a no-cost upgrade from the 2017 version, or will I need to buy Moneydance again? I'm thinking of getting the current 2017 version, then doing the upgrade when it's available, but not if I have to pay twice.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 03 Dec, 2018 07:52 PM

4. 4 Posted by s©tt on 11 Dec, 2018 08:51 AM

A beta/preview of Moneydance 2019 just appeared at http://infinitekind.com/preview.

I am a HUGE fan of Moneydance, but I would advise anyone who wants to try the new preview to install it in a second directory, and not as an upgrade to an existing 'production' MD2017 installation... the first iterations of the last major overhaul caused a few months of grief for long-time users.

Personally, I'm hoping to see some more configurability in Reports (e.g. self-definition of reports), and a much better 'Advanced Search' capability (e.g. able to make complex selections, such as selecting from accounts but not when tagged with a particular tag, or selecting when in particular categores OR tagged with a particular value.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 11 Dec, 2018 10:29 AM

Under no circumstances should anyone put Moneydance 2019 on a machine with live data, it is very much a Beta release for testing only. Problems are being detected so it is not ready for any release.

6. 6 Posted by mbclpublic on 17 Dec, 2018 08:20 PM

Anyone know what the new features of 2019 are? I downloaded the beta and it looks exactly the same. Is the budgeting tool going to get a facelift? I love moneydance, but I've found the current budgeting tool rather useless compared to others available.

7. 7 Posted by Marco Gil on 17 Dec, 2018 08:23 PM

------ Original Message ------

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 17 Dec, 2018 08:46 PM

Sean has said he wants to improve on budgeting but there are no changes in this space in the initial 2019 release.

9. 9 Posted by moneydancequote... on 19 Dec, 2018 03:26 AM

Hello,
    The 2019 beta Linux Snap does not want to install.

sudo snap install moneydance_linux_amd64.snap
    error: cannot find signatures with metadata for snap moneydance_linux_amd64.snap"

The tar.gz -- easy. Download, unzip, click Moneydance and it's running. The beta had no trouble finding the MD 2017 configuration.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try installing the Windows version; dual booting Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Windows 10 Home.

Regards,

Jesse

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Dec, 2018 04:20 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Hi Jesse, what build of 2019 beta?

11. 11 Posted by moneydancequote... on 19 Dec, 2018 05:32 PM

Hi Derek,

The tar.gz is 2019.0 (1822). That's what was on the site around 9:00 PM (Holiday, Florida; U.S. Eastern time). I haven't tried installing the Windows version yet.

Jesse

On 12/19/18 11:20 AM, derekkent23 wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Hi Jesse, what build of 2019 beta?

On Tue, Dec 18 at 07:26 PM PST, moneydancequotes01 wrote:

Hello,
    The 2019 beta Linux Snap does not want to install.

sudo snap install moneydance_linux_amd64.snap
    error: cannot find signatures with metadata for snap moneydance_linux_amd64.snap"

The tar.gz -- easy. Download, unzip, click Moneydance and it's running. The beta had no trouble finding the MD 2017 configuration.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try installing the Windows version; dual booting Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Windows 10 Home.

Regards,

Jesse

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Moneydance 2019.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.infinitekind.com, visit this page

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Sean Reilly on 19 Dec, 2018 07:10 PM

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for that notice. Yes, I'm working on the linux snap installer now - it's a lot trickier than I originally estimated, but I hope to have it resolved very soon. The old tar.gz installer is showing it's age, so I hope we can replace it entirely.

Thanks!

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

13. 13 Posted by moneydancequote... on 20 Dec, 2018 06:49 PM

Hi Sean,

I've had a couple fortuitous accidents in looking at the beta. The first was not knowing there were two download sites with different install methods. The first site I found had the snap, tar.gz, and .appx. Then I saw the site with Deb package and usual Windows installs. I'm dual booting Windows 10 Home and Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. Both are up to date.

Okay, you know about snap issues. When I was using the tar.gz I actually had build 1822 and 1706 simultaneously operational in Linux. I had only extracted 1822 to /Downloads/Moneydance and ran the program from there. 1822 and 1706 seemed to co-exist well enough. They each accessed the same financial info though not at the same time.

I removed the tar.gz files after I found the Deb package. Deb 1822 installed beautifully over 1706. I updated stock quotes with Quote Loader extension. Eventually I went on to Windows where it was still 1706. The stock prices box didn't look right when Windows 1706 started. It corrected before I could focus on the box. Later I would find the correction was done by Quote Loader.

There's a difference in how Kubuntu and Windows keep time. When booting back into Windows my clock is usually 5 hours later and I'll reset the clock. i.e. shut down Kubuntu 8 PM, reboot Windows and it's 1 AM the next day. This time I forgot to reset the clock and Windows was on "tomorrow" when 1706 ran. Quote Loader did its automatic daily update which corrected the stock box display.

After a number of boots and reboots and uninstalls and re-installs, it comes down to this: Build 1822 reads its own stock quotes as well as 1706 stock quotes. Build 1822 displays properly in the stock box. It seems 1822 does not store the quote data for 1706 to read properly. Build 1822 is doing something different with the stock quotes decimal point that 1706 does not understand. It does not seem to matter if the 1822 quotes were written in Linux or Windows. It does not seem to matter if the 1706 is Windows or Linux. There are screen captures attached. I am set to 4 decimal points on the quotes.

I'm blaming the beta, but I suppose Quote Loader could somehow do something different with the decimal point between 1822 and 1706. I'm on Quote Loader build 2125 in both Moneydance builds. I don't have time right now to take out Quote Loader and put AlphaVantage back in to see if it makes a difference.

Next item: Windows appx install. It seems to install and run okay. It did not replace 1706 or give the option to replace 1706. The appx install leaves both versions functional. The uninstall works. It only uninstalled the 1822.

Windows 1822 exe 64 bit install does give the option to update 1706 or install somewhere else. I chose to update 1706. Install / update went well. Uninstall was a problem. Another screen shot and install4jError17350484955184050033.log attached. I did "uninstall" finally by first re-installing 1706 exe over 1822 and then uninstall 1706. Uninstall 1706 left configuration and financial data intact.

Time to pack; on a plane tomorrow to visit relatives.

Merry Christmas,

Jesse

On 12/19/2018 2:10 PM, Sean Reilly wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for that notice. Yes, I'm working on the linux snap installer now - it's a lot trickier than I originally estimated, but I hope to have it resolved very soon. The old tar.gz installer is showing it's age, so I hope we can replace it entirely.

Thanks!

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.infinitekind.com, visit this page

14. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 20 Dec, 2018 09:55 PM

Hi Jesse

The Quote Loader is a third-Party extension by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes not supported by Moneydance’s - Sean.

Quote Loader has never been tested with different build or different versions under the same operating system, would not be surprised if you get strange results.
    The released version of Quote Loader only works reliably on 2017. There is a version in beta test for 2019 which will be release at around the same time as 2019. Changes were required due to the move from java 1.8.0_162 to java 11.0.1 also Sean made major changes to the way non-base currency securities were handled, so necessitating the Quote Loader being brought in line.
    My testing has been on windows using the EXE installer. One thing we found after using the EXE installer for 2019 was that there were a number of duplicate files of different revision levels in c:\program files\moneydance\jars folder. The old one had to be manually deleted. E.g. httpclient-4.03.jar httpclient-4.5.6.jar Look out for this or you could get strange results.

Hope this helps.

15. 15 Posted by Mike Bray on 20 Dec, 2018 10:54 PM

Hi Jesse, there are a couple of inter-related points that you need to be aware of. The way stock prices are stored has changed from MD 2017 and 2019. Swapping to and fro between the two has the potential to corrupt your file. Because of this build 2125 of Quote Loader does not work correctly on MD 2019. A new version is being tested but it this testing has highlighted a few errors in MD 2019 which Sean is dealing with. I will release the new version once I have tested with MD build 1824.
    Regards
    Mike

16. 16 Posted by shiner03 on 23 Dec, 2018 01:56 PM

I would also like to suggest that the Moneydance 2019 user manual be more robust and complete. It should contain the actual steps on how to accomplish the various tasks of which Moneydance is capable. I realize that the knowledge base is vast, but searching for a particular procedure is time consuming. As an example, the Quicken for Mac 2007 User Manual was very complete and detailed.

17. 17 Posted by moneydancequote... on 29 Dec, 2018 11:14 PM

Hello,
    Two quick beta questions. First, can subsequent beta versions be installed over a prior, i.e. 1826 over 1822?
    Second, is there an e-mail list for notification when new beta versions are posted?
    Thanks,
    Jesse

18. 18 Posted by dwg on 30 Dec, 2018 02:01 AM

Personally I have been deinstalling first

There is no email list I know of, most of us just keep an eye on the site I think.

19. 19 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Dec, 2018 08:32 AM

Hi Jesse

Provided I am using the same type of installer I never uninstall first. The only time I uninstalled was on a windows 10 PC when switching from EXE to appx as they install the program itself in different locations. So, uninstall, don’t uninstall, whatever you are happy with. In all the time I have been using 2015 and 2017 I have never uninstalled to install a new build.

New 2019 beta build just keep an eye on the site as dwg suggests.

Hope this helps.

20. 20 Posted by moneydancequote... on 31 Dec, 2018 05:49 AM

Hello,

MD beta 2126 & 2127 can hang in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS during File > Export Backup... I dual boot Windows 10 Home and Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. There's an about 1.65 Tb NTFS data partition between. There are three screen captures and two files attached.

I was attempting to export backup to a thumb drive and clicked the wrong drive. Refer to Hang_0. I clicked JFK-Data which is the mounted internal NTFS partition where the MD financial data resides. The Unable to access popped up.

Clicking OK or the top right X did not clear the notice. Eventually after clicking the X on the main MD window, Hang_1 appeared. I've included Hang_2 with the MD title bar showing the file loaded from the mounted drive. Also uploaded is fstab with the mounting info for data partition. The Samsung (Windows 10) partition is mounted without special fstab settings. The beta can export there okay.

MD has no problem reading & writing to the data partition when entering transactions. MD has no problem with info backing up to the drive on normal MD exit. I'm also uploading errlog.txt which shows no trouble loading data from the mounted drive.

It seems odd that MD can not export the backup to the partition it can already read / write. MD 2017 (1706) also gives the Unable to access message, but 1706 does not hang.

Jesse

21. 21 Posted by moneydancequote... on 31 Dec, 2018 01:22 PM

Hi,
    Previous note should reference builds 1826 & 1827. Same Kubuntu hang in build 1829.
    Regards,
    Jesse

22. Support Staff 22 Posted by Sean Reilly on 31 Dec, 2018 01:30 PM

Hi Jesse,
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what would produce that error, but it must be at the system level. If that's the case then there's not much we can do about it. Although the hang sounds like Moneydance might still be trying to write to the file. I've recently pushed preview build 1829 (and 1830) which significantly speed up the writing of a backup when using the File menu to remote or external disks.

Also, I should mention that you can join our beta slack channel where you can post feedback directly and interact with other customers (and myself) who are helping with this and other beta releases. The URL to join is https://infinitekind.com/joinslack

Thanks!
    Sean

23. 23 Posted by moneydancequote... on 01 Jan, 2019 02:15 AM

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the Slack invite. First a quick note here for continuity and then future posts to slack. I commented out the fstab line with the data partition special mounting info and rebooted. Both 1706 and 1829 produced no error Exporting Backup. Of course commenting out that line breaks about a dozen other things on my system; too much re-configuring to try on each beta. But perhaps with the correct owner / user / group and permissions combination? MD is not set up as a user so I'll see what I can do. Regardless of permissions, 1706 does not hang and 1829 does. The Linux - MD hang is also in 1832.

Windows and Linux don't always play nice with each other. Windows doesn't read Ext4. Linux doesn't really like NTFS. There is or was a problem setting permissions on NTFS which is why the fstab line for mounting that partition. I had to take that route for Plex Media Server, which sets up as user Plex, to properly access the NTFS partition from Linux as well as Windows. My 8 y/o has to have movie access regardless of which OS I'm in so I get 90 - 120 minutes uninterrupted!

Happy New Year!

Jesse

On 12/31/2018 8:30 AM, Sean Reilly wrote:

Hi Jesse,
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure what would produce that error, but it must be at the system level. If that's the case then there's not much we can do about it. Although the hang sounds like Moneydance might still be trying to write to the file. I've recently pushed preview build 1829 (and 1830) which significantly speed up the writing of a backup when using the File menu to remote or external disks.

Also, I should mention that you can join our beta slack channel where you can post feedback directly and interact with other customers (and myself) who are helping with this and other beta releases. The URL to join is https://infinitekind.com/joinslack

Thanks!
    Sean

On Mon, Dec 31 at 05:22 AM PST, moneydancequotes01 wrote:

Hi,
    Previous note should reference builds 1826 & 1827. Same Kubuntu hang in build 1829.
    Regards,
    Jesse

24. 24 Posted by trevor on 02 Jan, 2019 02:46 AM

Got an alert that a new version was available recommending a download of 2019 (still on 2017-1706). Is the general consensus that it is stable enough for daily use?

25. 25 Posted by dwg on 02 Jan, 2019 03:53 AM

My advise is to stay on 2017.10 (1706) at this stage, problems are still being found in MD2019.

26. 26 Posted by trevor on 02 Jan, 2019 03:57 AM

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac