What's The Deal With Passwords And Downloading My Bank Data?

squirrelbait

09 Nov, 2018 07:50 PM

Hi:

So when I created my "Master Password" Moneydance tells me this:

"To set a master password, select the check box below and enter a pass phrase. This phrase will be requested when opening the file. Once you set a master password, you will also have the option to save your online banking passwords in your file".

Ok... so I created my "Master Password", but I for the life of me can't figure out where to find my online banking passwords. I can't find where the "option" is to input them or save them... and it's driving me crazy.

I've tried to download my bank data from my bank (I use Chase), however, when I set up online banking Moneydance asked me for my routing number, account number, and my (bank) customer ID... but Moneydance never asked me to provide my account PASSWORD... How am I supposed to download anything from my bank if I can't input any password information in my Moneydance file?

Additionally, when I'm in the process of setting up my online banking, there are two little boxes that say: "Bill Payment" and "Online Banking", but I can't check off either box. Why am I unable to do so?

I hope that I can get this straightened out because I HATE Quicken with a passion (which is what I've been using).

Thank you in advance for your response.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 09 Nov, 2018 08:50 PM

just a user,

When you set a master password, MD will store the account passwords you use so you can download any account without entering the account password each time. You need to create your MD accounts first, then you need to select the accounts you created and set up Online Banking for each account where the bank allows Direct Connect downloads. When setting up the Online connections, you will get a list of banks that MD have successfully tested. You then will be prompted for your login ID and password. After that is all successful, then you can just click "download all accounts" and MD will access each one with the login and password you used. If your bank does not allow direct connect, you can still access on a browsers and download which should prompt MD to confirm which account to receive the downloads. Also if you want to use direct connect and it's not on the MD list, you can drop a note to MD to test the bank access and add to the bank listing.

Also MD will prompt for the password if it isn't saved with the master password.
    Online bill payment and send online payment only works for banks that allow interactive banking other than just downloading transactions.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 09 Nov, 2018 08:55 PM

I'm a fellow user.

But as it appears that Chase is offline due to maintenance you will have to wait in any case:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-11-8-18-cha...

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Nov, 2018 09:21 PM

Hi squirrelbait,

Forum member dwg is correct. Chase is down for the weekend. The link that he provided was inadvertently truncated.
    Here's the full link...
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-11-8-18-cha...

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 09 Nov, 2018 09:32 PM

Thanks Kevin.

I wonder why it got truncated

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Nov, 2018 09:36 PM

Hi Des,

When you copy & paste a long link directly from the forum it only copies the visible text.

-Kevin N.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 09 Nov, 2018 09:47 PM

Hi Kevin,

How useful.....

I hadn't noticed that before.

Des

7. 7 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Nov, 2018 10:37 PM

It looks like Chase is working again.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac