Balances are all WAY off!

Rachel P

19 Sep, 2018 03:16 AM

I just downloaded the trial version of MD and imported my Quicken data. Everything seemed to go smoothly and my transactions, categories, even memos are all intact and separated out nicely in Moneydance.

But the problem is that, all the ending balances seem to be WAY off! I don't know how to fix that other than to go back and check every transaction, line by line. This is not really feasible because I had YEARS of Quicken data that I imported.

Help! I cannot use this program if the balances are all completely wonky.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 19 Sep, 2018 04:50 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The most common cause of this problem that we see is that the QIF file that Quicken produces does not contain an initial balance. Usually when people start using software they already have an account and it has money in it, so when starting off you need to set the balance to what the account has in it at the time just prior to using the software to record transactions.

In Moneydance this is referred to as the initial balance and it is set in the Account info window which you can access by opening the register of the account and then using the menu item Account --> Edit Account.

By opening Quicken and looking at the register I think it shows the initial balance as the very first entry., or at least I think it did in the version I had many years ago.

2. 2 Posted by Rachel P on 19 Sep, 2018 05:54 AM

Thank you, you are exactly correct. I figured that out after posting the question. It sure would be helpful if that were denoted somewhere in the document that tells you how to import QIF files!
    Now that I've got this figured out, though, I've since encountered a couple of other sizable problems so I'm back to the discussion board to find answers to those questions...thanks again!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac