java.lang.NullPointerException when importing QIF

moneydance

13 Jul, 2018 04:02 AM

Just downloaded Moneydance trial today. Exported from Quicken 2016 for Windows, Home & Business. I am an experienced programmer, if that helps.

I exported everything from QW to a 7,428 KB .QIF file (yes, that is rather large). I tried to import it into Moneydance and I got a java.lang.NullPointerException. Looks like only a few transactions have been imported into Moneydance.

Dates in transactions in the QIF seem to be formatted like D5/<space>8'15 or D10/<space>7'15 or D4/21'15

Of course, I can't prove that Quicken exported the .QIF file correctly..

This is not an auspicious start. Suggestions please?

1. 1 Posted by moneydance on 13 Jul, 2018 10:56 PM

Is there any way I can get a debugging version of Moneydance so I can try to track down the the problem(s) importing my QIF file?

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 13 Jul, 2018 11:35 PM

I'm a fellow user.

That is a date format used with some versions of Quicken, I have seem some other users reported that it works.

When exporting your data from Quicken, if you have options of what to export select to export transactions only. The Moneydance QIF importer appears to have been designed to work with raw transaction information.

3. 3 Posted by moneydance on 14 Jul, 2018 07:06 PM

For what it is worth, this same .QIF file loads without any apparent error in GnuCash and Moneyspire. This makes me suspect that the .QIF file is not the source of this NullPointerException.

I am evaluating replacements for Quicken and I would really like to put Moneydance through its paces. Is there anything I can do (as an experienced programmer) to help locate this bug?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ian O on 15 Jul, 2018 12:45 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the issue you have encountered while migrating your data into Moneydance. Can you try upgrading to the latest preview release of Moneydance to see if this allows you to connect? I believe the preview version contains an improvement that should hopefully resolve the error you're receiving on import. You can download the preview version of Moneydance from here.

If the preview version doesn't allow you to connect, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Sep, 2018 06:38 AM
23 Sep, 2018 04:15 AM
23 Sep, 2018 02:47 AM