Improvements to Backups

whitedavidp

10 Feb, 2018 06:15 PM

I can see now that MD creates backups every time it exists. Not a bad idea. But each backup has the same name tied to the current date. If you open/use the program more than once per day, previous backups for that day get over-written. Not good! Both date and time should be used in the backup's name to prevent this. The user then should update the max number to keep if they want.

1. 1 Posted by rmalone2426 on 10 Feb, 2018 06:47 PM

I agree. Backup separate for each open/close on same day.
    rmalone2426

2. 2 Posted by whitedavidp on 12 Feb, 2018 05:47 PM

Just FYI, until MD makes this change (if they ever choose to do so), I have implemented a hacked-together "solution" for this on my Windows machine using this free program <https://www.nodesoft.com/foldermonitor>. I configured MD to put backups into their own folder. I then have FolderMonitor watch that folder for file creation events for files with names ending with ".moneydancearchive". When one happens, I have FolderMonitor run a batch file (attached) that first waits 20 seconds for MD to complete writing out the file and then renames the file just created by adding the current time (military time) on the end of the file name. It is a hack but it does what I need/want for now. Cheers!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac