Grace

01 Jul, 2017 03:24 PM

Thank you for the great personal financial software (on desktop) - having tried a few others and I must say this desktop app is the one which can fulfill everything I need with no/minimal workarounds needed.

However, a great potential software will only be as good as their own weakest link - currently the mobile app (apple/Android). There's just so many random issues (from crashing frequently to missing transactions), lack of thought process / functionalities (showing balance at home, but no privacy to protect recent apps; no budgeting details; traditional PIN system instead of fingerprint scan), and aesthetics perspective (traditional mobile app layout?). As much as I love the desktop version, this mismatch of consumer experience can't help but makes me feel uneasy and continue to look for alternatives.

Another biggest weakness is the lack of focus on BUDGETING. Budget is the core of personal finance apps but the way moneydance handles it right now is very terrible/weak - i.e. zero-based budgeting / envelope style budgeting. Competitor apps like You Need a Budget handles this extremely well (but lacks the rest of functionality MD has)

I sincerely hope that your team will seriously give it a thoughts - to improve the mobile application and also budgeting capabilities, without sacrificing the moneydance model that you guys stood up for. Looking today's world - most people spend more time on mobile than desktop and the trend will only continue shifting.

1. 1 Posted by Glenda Page on 12 Sep, 2017 04:53 PM

A few deeply irritating things:
    1.When I enter a new transaction, the first part of the date field is not visible which for me, being in the UK, is the day (all previous transactions show a full date field). I have to put my cursor in the date field & backspace or do a lot of double clicking to bring up the calendar which shows the date.
    2. Double clicking does not get a consistent response in MD 2017. Whenever I have to change info in any transaction field, the whole transaction is highlighted. Then it is often impossible to highlight a particular field within the transaction.

These are time consuming annoyances that should not happen. Please can you explain what I am doing wrong or correct them? Thanks.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Sep, 2017 07:54 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

On your first point you can adjust column width in registers. Hover over the column line in the header (cursor type will not change as you might expect) and right click and move.
    The second point may be an operating system issue. In windows a single click highlights a transaction line. However if you use a double click instead over a field in the line that filed highlights for editing.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by Glenda Page on 14 Sep, 2017 10:51 AM

On 14 Sep 2017, at 08:55, derekkent23 <[email blocked]> wrote:

Thanks, derekkent23. I seem to have sorted the date field based on your advice, but as I’m on a Mac, I have yet to figure out the highlighting problem!

// Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

I am not support staff, just a user.

On your first point you can adjust column width in registers. Hover over the column line in the header (cursor type will not change as you might expect) and right click and move.
    The second point may be an operating system issue. In windows a single click highlights a transaction line. However if you use a double click instead over a field in the line that filed highlights for editing.

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Sep 12 at 09:53 AM PDT, Glenda Page wrote:

A few deeply irritating things: 
    1.When I enter a new transaction, the first part of the date field is not visible which for me, being in the UK, is the day (all previous transactions show a full date field). I have to put my cursor in the date field & backspace or do a lot of double clicking to bring up the calendar which shows the date. 
    2. Double clicking does not get a consistent response in MD 2017. Whenever I have to change info in any transaction field, the whole transaction is highlighted. Then it is often impossible to highlight a particular field within the transaction.

These are time consuming annoyances that should not happen. Please can you explain what I am doing wrong or correct them? Thanks.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Feedback: Moneydance 2017.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac