Please Note: We've moved Moneydance and SyncSpace's support to a new location. Please join us for support and discussion at infinitekind.zendesk.com.

data integrity

gregoryalter

03 Jan, 2013 09:38 PM

I have been using Quicken 2007 for Mac on Lion. I have had a number of problems with my data which I am interested to find a solution for with your finance program. One thing is the ability to test for the integrity of the data, either using an external utility or a menu item from inside. Current Windows versions of Quicken give you the ability to test--but I am on the Mac, not Windows! Second, I see how backups and restores are handled, but what about during a session when the computer shuts down inadvertently for some reason? In between backups, is the only solution to restore from the most recent backup, or is the program doing some automated backing up without he user doing anything at all? I actually thought that Quicken stored to disk every time a transaction was saved, but apparently this is not true, or at least not entirely true. How does your program work with the data during a session to avoid data loss from a power outage or other "bad" shutdown?

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Scott Meehan on 04 Jan, 2013 12:17 AM

Hi Gregory,

Moneydance tests your file's integrity each time it's opened, so if it detects any issues with your file it offers you the option of opening a checkpoint to return to a point before the file corruption occurred.

In Moneydance 2012.3, your data is saved automatically within 20 seconds of you entering it and before the program is closed. So if you have some inadvertent power failure or other issue that immediately shuts your computer down or makes it otherwise unresponsive, then you'll lose at most 20 seconds worth of work. This is a compromise that keeps the interface responsive and keeps your data quickly updated. This option can be turned off, however, by going to File -> Preferences -> Backup and selecting the "Save changes only on Exit" option, which will disable automatic saves.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Moneydance Support

2. Scott Meehan closed this discussion on 04 Jan, 2013 12:17 AM.

3. gregoryalter re-opened this discussion on 04 Jan, 2013 01:17 AM

4. 3 Posted by gregoryalter on 04 Jan, 2013 01:17 AM

Just have to say this is a great answer, both timely, and also exactly what I was hoping for. I don't know what happened to "good old Quicken," as they used to be on top of these sorts of issues. I expect I will be moving over to your side of the world, in a few days, so expect a few more questions, too. Thanks again and best wishes for a great new year.

5. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 04 Jan, 2013 01:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac