Please Note: We've moved Moneydance and SyncSpace's support to a new location. Please join us for support and discussion at infinitekind.zendesk.com.

Can't connect to Citibank

StreetScooby

06 Feb, 2011 12:49 AM

I'm can't get the online banking setup to work.
Has anyone else been able to connect to Citibank?

Showing the most recent page of comments. View the first page

1. Support Staff 32 Posted by Jessica Little on 06 Mar, 2011 02:21 PM

You're still getting the 2003 error, which means the account isn't found. This is usually either because the account isn't activated for direct connections or there is a mistake in the account or routing number entered into Moneydance.

It may be the case that something got mixed up during your initial setup and now Moneydance's connection information is slightly corrupted. To fix this, you'll need to force clear all of your current connection information in Moneydance. I'm sending a file called remove_all_services.py that will help do that. Before proceeding, please back up your Moneydance file, just in case something goes wrong. So far, this hasn't caused any problems, but better safe than sorry!

To use the file, first save it to your computer and then follow these steps:

1) In Moneydance, click on the Extensions Menu and choose the Add... option
    2) In the window that pops up, make sure the From Internet option is selected and then click next.
    3) From the list of available extensions, choose the python scripting interface extension, then click Next to download the extension and finish to complete the installation.
    4) Again, click the Extensions menu. This time, choose the Python Interface option.
    5) In the python scripting window, click the read from file button and load the file from whereever you saved it. You won't get any confirmation of anything happening, but you also shouldn't get any error messages. Close the window when done.
    6) Set up the connection to your bank like normal. Since all of your settings have been cleared, you should get the most recent connection information for your bank.

Hopefully, that will work. If it doesn't, let me know and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

2. 33 Posted by donna katz on 06 Mar, 2011 02:50 PM

This whole thread is frightening me. Is all this connectivity problem stemming from your NOT having established a direct connect agreement with Citibank via their Quicken kit or is this all even after youve filed with them through their Quicken kit?
    If this is the case, then I am going to have to either switch banks, or switch software because there is no way I can dive into these problems.....
    Please let me know,
    Thanks
    DK

3. Support Staff 34 Posted by Jessica Little on 06 Mar, 2011 03:55 PM

Hi Donna,

Getting connected does not normally involve this much process. I'm not sure what has happened with lcaston's file, but the normal process is just to set up your accounts in Moneydance and then set up online banking using the credentials found in the Quicken Enrollment Kit.

If you have trouble connecting after getting your Quicken Enrollment Kit, please luet me know and I'll help you figure it out.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

4. 35 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 05:47 PM

Jessica,
    I've moved this discussion off-line. No need to frighten other customers.
    I'm still having the same issue. Console log is attached.
    Should I reset the accounts on the bank side?
    Thanks,
    - Louis

5. 36 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 06:01 PM

Jessica,
    I've taken a screen shot of the savings account from Citibank's website. Is the "Preferred Money Market" significant? Does this mean I shouldn't be querying for the account as a savings account?
    Thanks,
    - Louis

6. Support Staff 37 Posted by Jessica Little on 06 Mar, 2011 06:35 PM

Hi Louis,

The fact that your account is a Money Market account might indeed be significant. Your log files didn't come through; could you please email it to me directly? Also, do you have the option of downloading an OFX or QFX file from your bank's website? If so, could you get one from your Money Market account and send that to me as well? It may contain information that will be helpful in resolving this.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

7. 38 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 06:38 PM

Here's the console log that didn't go through last time.

8. Support Staff 39 Posted by Jessica Little on 06 Mar, 2011 06:46 PM

If you create your account as an Investment account in Moneydance, are you then able to set up the direct connection?

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

9. 40 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 06:53 PM

The setup is asking for a Broker ID. Where can I find that?

10. 41 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 07:13 PM

I found an FID for Citibank here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct_Connect_Bank_Settings. I used that as the Broker ID, and completed the setup. "Download All Accounts" didn't seem to do anything with it.

11. Support Staff 42 Posted by Jessica Little on 06 Mar, 2011 07:57 PM

Hi Louis,

It sounds like you're trying to use the Manual Setup button. I would advise against that in this case, since we already support direct connections through the New Connection button. Manual setup can sometimes introduce connection problems. You should be able to set up your account by simply selecting your bank from the list that pops up when you click New Connection.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

12. 43 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 08:09 PM

Jessica,
    No, the Investments setup for online banking is asking for a Broker ID for Citibank.

13. Support Staff 44 Posted by Jessica Little on 06 Mar, 2011 08:28 PM

Louis,

What website do you use to log into your Money Market account? I'm wondering if maybe you shouldn't be connecting to the Citibank connection.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

14. 45 Posted by lcaston on 06 Mar, 2011 10:21 PM

From the console log:
    Sending message to https://www.oasis.cfree.com/test.ofxgp

15. Support Staff 46 Posted by Jessica Little on 07 Mar, 2011 06:34 PM

Hi Louis,

I meant, what website do you go to when you log into your Money Market account through the bank's website? The website you listed is for their OFX server (which is actually a third-party server).

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

16. 47 Posted by lcaston on 07 Mar, 2011 11:00 PM

I go to Citibank.com for that information. I don't have a Money Market per se, that's how the Savings account has been classified.

Is there anyway for Moneydance to query for the available accounts?

17. 48 Posted by lcaston on 08 Mar, 2011 02:57 AM

Jessica,
    I found a script that downloads available accounts. My savings account has an OFX ACCTTYPE of MONEYMRKT. How do I query this account?

18. 49 Posted by lcaston on 08 Mar, 2011 03:21 AM

Jessica,
    I figured it out. The account type was money market, and the account number had a leading zero that I only noticed on the OFX account query. I'm now getting my savings account downloaded.

How do I get my credit card downloaded? When I open that account, the download option is grayed out.

BTW, this script helped me alot: ofx-ba-tfb-auto.py

Thanks,

19. Support Staff 50 Posted by Jessica Little on 08 Mar, 2011 04:04 PM

Hi Louis,

Is your bank sending your credit card info as CREDITCARD type data of bank data (CHECKING or SAVINGS)? If they are not sending it as credit card data, MD 2010 will not allow you to import it into a credit card account set up in Moneydance. We've changed this MD 2011 do be more lenient, since a lot of banks do not properly tag credit card data.

If that's not the problem, please let me know and we can do more troubleshooting.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

20. 51 Posted by donna katz on 11 Aug, 2011 07:17 PM

just got my quicken ofx interface and i am still having error messages trying to connect online. I was on the phone with citibank for a long time. They say that Moneydance is trying to connect to the server as a payment request instead of an information download and that may be part of the problem. Also, moneydance will not download any information from money market accounts because they do not handle payment requests...how do i get this thing combed out so that I can budget my money instead of spending my time studying to becoming a computer programmer...?

21. 52 Posted by lcaston on 12 Aug, 2011 01:02 AM

Citibank will not even discuss any program other than Quicken. I fought with them for months, and finally had to cave and buy Quicken. Even then, it's been a nightmare dealing with them. If you're using the Mac program, which is what all of the level 2 techs use come to find out, the level 2 guys will help you out. Other than that, you're on your own.

Quicken has an arrangement with Citibank whereby you end up connecting to Quicken OFX servers, not Citibank servers. There is an OFX protocol that apparently only Quicken knows about to download the various accounts. Unless you're an OFX expert, and have access to a Quicken log, you won't be able to figure out what they're doing, and the vast majority of your accounts will not be accessible via Moneydance. I managed to get my checking account downloaded via Moneydance, and that was it.

As excited as I was about Moneydance, I had to move on. I expect, and actually hope, that Jessica removes this thread.

22. 53 Posted by ml on 12 Aug, 2011 01:28 AM

or just get over the fact that you have to once in a while login to citibank and download the transactions and import them into MD. it's not great but you'll live.

23. Support Staff 54 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 12 Aug, 2011 01:25 PM

Donna- Could you please let me know what type of account this is set up in Moneydance as? (Bank, investment, etc). It would be helpful if you could create a new "thread" so we can track this issue separately, as it may not have the same root causes as the initial issue.

Icaston- I'm glad you've found a solution which works for you, I have had my own struggles with a large bank which shall remain nameless. We're currently working on implementing other connection tools, so hopefully our program will become a viable option for you in the future.

ml- Yes, I often use this tactic, but mainly because I was avoiding paying the monthly fee while traveling internationally (and so using my US based bank less frequently). In Moneydance 2011 you can even have the program store the download page on your bank's website and navigate there automatically!

Thank to you all, and if we can be of assistance please do let me know,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

24. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 12 Aug, 2011 01:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac