Please Note: We've moved Moneydance and SyncSpace's support to a new location. Please join us for support and discussion at infinitekind.zendesk.com.

Moneydance update

adisler

12 Dec, 2012 08:54 PM

Well I guess there is a new version of Moneydance. Wouldnt have known it if i didn't go to your website for another reason.

With Moneydance 2011 installed but not open I downloaded the new version which Safari expanded from the zip file. Upon running the new Moneydance (but with the 2011 version still in my Applications folder since I was afraid to delete it before I was sure the new version worked), I was presented with the unregistered "welcome" window which indicates the new version doesn't recognize my installed registered version.

Kindly explain, please.

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jon Hoover on 12 Dec, 2012 10:01 PM

Hi,
    There is a bug that causes the registration to be lost during upgrading for some users. This and a few other bugs and issues were the reason you had not been notified about the 2012 version. We are working on a newer update of it that had this fixed which we were then going to publish as the newest release of Moneydance.
    This is your license key, which you'll need to re-enter: B1040697-8D9B1CAA
    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Sincerely,
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

2. 3 Posted by adisler on 12 Dec, 2012 10:25 PM

Great. Thanks, John.

While I have your attention, I was going to report a problem with MD 2011 I had and was wondering if it might have been dealt with in MD 2012.

When I initiate a transaction report, the description entries seem to have disregarded corrections made to downloaded transactions at time of entry. For example, a downloaded deposit would have shown Payee A (from a previous deposit), and which I correct to Payee B, and then confirm the transaction, which shows up correctly in the main transaction window. When I do a Transaction Report, however, the uncorrected entries are returned, a major inconvenience.

Also, it would be great if transactions in a Report could be clickable and returned to the main transaction window to facilitate any changes that need to be made.

Thanks,

-Alan Disler

<[email blocked]> wrote:

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Jon Hoover on 12 Dec, 2012 11:22 PM

Hey Alan,
    I'm not able to recreate this in either 2011 or 2012 and no one has reported this. Would you mind sending in a few screenshots that demonstrate what is going on?
    Thanks for your help on this.
    Sincerely,

4. 5 Posted by adisler on 13 Dec, 2012 12:34 AM

OK John, this is the Transaction Report: Filter window:

This one of the reported transactions:

This is that transaction in the main transaction window:

I don't know why these screen grabs are so small, but with a magnifyng glass you can see that the descriptions do not match.

-Alan D.

5. Support Staff 6 Posted by Jon Hoover on 13 Dec, 2012 06:32 PM

Hi Alan,
    My hunch is that what is going on is because this report is showing you the 'other side' of the transaction that you are not modifying when it comes in. If you right click or ctrl-click on the transaction in question and select 'show other side' does what you are seeing then match what the report is showing?
    We've talked about getting rid of the transaction filter report because it does show the other side transactions pretty readily which can often be confusing (as I recall, in ways far more confusing then what happened to you), would it be possible to see what you need by using the detailed Income and Expense report?
    Let me know if this addresses your situation.
    Sincerely,

6. 7 Posted by adisler on 13 Dec, 2012 06:52 PM

John,

This is apparently what is happening. Downloaded transactions which have not been previously entered in the main transaction window come in from the bank with generic descriptors. I correct those and confirm. MD learns that. When reports are generated, MD uses the "learned" info rather than the corrected info. This seems like a programming issue that could/should be fixed.

This really makes reporting of the kind I need pretty much a nightmare, as I work for several employers during the year and need accurate breakdowns by employer for unemployment ins and tax accounting.

Unfortunately, Income and Expense reports look like another minefield of confusion.

-Alan

7. Support Staff 8 Posted by Jon Hoover on 13 Dec, 2012 09:21 PM

Hi Alan,
    Hi Alan, I don't believe Moneydance stores data in the way you are suggesting. I think this more has to do with a possible bug in how 'the other side' is dealing with descriptions. This might be fixed in the latest preview release but I am not certain, would you be willing to try it out and tell me if it still comes up for you? http://infinitekind.com/preview
    Thanks.
    Sincerely,

8. 9 Posted by adisler on 15 Dec, 2012 03:49 PM

Thanks, Jon. will let you know.

-Alan

9. 10 Posted by adisler on 15 Dec, 2012 06:13 PM

Hi Jon,

So I downloaded the latest preview release and it seems the only way to test would be to convert my existing data file to 2012 version, which I don't think I should do just yet.

-Alan

10. Support Staff 11 Posted by Scott Meehan on 15 Dec, 2012 09:56 PM

Hi Alan,

If you'd like, you can create a copy of your .md for backup purposes which you can use to revert to Moneydance 2011 if you'd like. As well, the conversion process from .md files to the new Moneydance 2012 format is reversible, so you can just go to File -> Export in Moneydance 2012 and select the "Moneydance 2010" format (which is also used by Moneydance 2011) and get your file back. There's no data loss in this process, either.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Moneydance Support

11. 12 Posted by adisler on 12 Jan, 2013 06:23 AM

Well, I finally tried MD 2012.3 (852) and the situation has not been fixed.

I also notice that MD treats a category (salary) as an account field and returns the entire transaction with out breaking out the category I'm searching for.

Also, if I enter a transaction, then download the transaction but haven't confirmed it, MD will count it twice in the Expenses section.

-Alan

12. Support Staff 13 Posted by Jon Hoover on 12 Jan, 2013 02:00 PM

Hi Alan,
    Are you using the transaction filter report? This report does some potentially useful but also potentially confusing things, which I could go into more detail on. Please let me know which report you are using and also what data you are trying to get from a report.

Regarding about the counting twice, this behavior is 'intentional' or at least unavoidable. The purpose of the confirmation process is to tell Moneydance which transactions are duplicate or correct any mislabeling in them. Moneydance is capable of automatically guessing but you run the risk of it making a mistake. I would encourage you to confirm as soon as you download the data.

Sincerely,

13. adisler closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2013 02:58 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac