Transaction matching colors make it hard to read

jeffcarp

11 Feb, 2019 10:03 PM

I'm not sure if the color combinations are a default or if it is set by the THEME setting, but I'm finding the colors currently used in my configuration make the transaction matching feature very hard to read. I haven't changed my THEME settings from the old version to 2019 and didn't not have this issue with the old version.

I've attached a screenshot. Most problematic is the numeric dollar value of the matched transaction. But in general, I find the colors too similar and not enough contrast.

Is there anything that I control that can change these color combinations?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 11 Feb, 2019 10:13 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The easiest thing to try is to go into preferences and try the different predefined themes and see if one works better for you, you need to restart Moneydance to make a theme active.

You can certainly try to set a custom theme selecting your own colours, however I do not believe the confirmation/merge dialogs have their own dedicated colours (I have certainly not found any) but rather uses colours that are used in multiple places and I have not found which ones they are.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Sean Reilly on 12 Feb, 2019 10:02 AM

Great question Jeff! Just last night I coincidentally pushed a preview build (1856) which changes how the selected transaction is highlighted, and I think that will address the lack of contrast. If it's still not clear enough, please let me know and I'll make some more tweaks.

Thanks!

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

3. 3 Posted by jeffcarp on 13 Feb, 2019 01:33 AM

Great timing! I downloaded the preview version. It's a big improvement. The numeric dollars are easily read now. Perhaps my only critique would be that now the text is too light on the matched transaction. I'm sure there's logic in the matched transaction text being lighter than the selected transaction text. In my opinion, the matched transaction text and the selected transaction text should be the same. If any text should be lighter, it would be any additional transactions shown as possible matches but not the first match.

I'm nitpicking now though. This is functional as is.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Feb, 2019 12:49 PM

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the text for all of the possible matches/merges/confirmations will be the same colour with one exception, which I believe is what you're seeing. The text of that transaction is intentionally dimmed, which means that Moneydance thinks it is a very unlikely match, but still wants to offer it just in case you're sure that they are the same transaction. This can happen if the downloaded transaction has a different check/cheque number to the local transaction or if the local transaction has already been merged with a downloaded transaction having a different ID.

Thanks,
    Sean

5. 5 Posted by jeffcarp on 13 Feb, 2019 01:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense about the dim color as a result of it being uncertain about the match.

But the uncertainty in this case is interesting. This is a credit card transaction so there is no check number and nothing in that field at all. The merchant name is exact as is the amount and the date is only different by a day. And there's no chance that it was previously matched to anything because I updated to the preview version, manually entered this transaction and then initiated a download immediately after to test this issue.

Appreciate your help on this.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Feb, 2019 02:41 PM

Hi Jeff,

OK, so that's strange that it wouldn't see it as a likely merge candidate. Can you right-click the transaction that is the potential merge in the register (not in the confirmation/merge list) and select "Show Transaction Details". Could you then copy and paste the contents of that window and either post them here or email them to [email blocked]? Could you do the same for the transaction that is selected in the register and that should be merged?

Thanks,
    Sean

7. 7 Posted by jeffcarp on 13 Feb, 2019 03:12 PM

I'm assuming that I can't do what you've asked once I've actually accepted the match. I need to do this the next time I notice this occurring, before I accept?

8. 8 Posted by jeffcarp on 14 Feb, 2019 09:40 PM

I've paid closer attention to this issue when using Moneydance today. I updated three accounts (Capital One credit card, American Express credit card and US Bank checking account). In all cases, the workflow is the same. I manually enter transactions and then I match them to the downloaded file.

In EVERY case, the selected matched transaction is shown with the light text above. As explained, this means Moneydance doesn't think it's a match. But in my situation, this occurs every single time, across >30 transaction today alone.

Attached is a file showing one example transaction.

9. 9 Posted by jeffcarp on 14 Feb, 2019 09:42 PM

To be more precise, for Capital One and US Bank I download a file from their website that I import into Moneydance. For American Express, I connect online through Moneydance.

10. 10 Posted by Rich B on 17 Feb, 2019 08:17 PM

OK, well I'm in the same boat; in fact posted this morning about it. Impossible to figure out what the background and text colors are called in the theme customization panel, and one *must* know ahead of time since you have to quit and restart to see if the changes work.

Any help would be welcome.

thanks!
    rich

11. 11 Posted by jeffcarp on 17 Feb, 2019 09:14 PM

Rich B, are you using a custom theme or are you using one of the default themes?

12. 12 Posted by Rich B on 17 Feb, 2019 10:33 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Capture.JPG 34.3 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac