Match Lots window keeps popping up

Jeff

06 Feb, 2019 04:49 PM

I know there have been several threads about the Match Lots pop-up, but this seems to be a little different. I'm using Moneydance 2017.6.

I have an account with lot matching enabled, and the Match Lots window pops up every time I either switch to the account or enter a transaction. All sales have already been matched (Shares remaining is zero for every sale), and I get no errors. If I cancel the "Match Lots" dialog, it takes several seconds to go away, and if I hit "OK", I don't get any errors, but it takes several minutes. This makes working with the account extremely tedious.

Even worse, if I happen to switch to this account (I don't even have to try to do anything, just switch to the account) while security prices are updating, then everything goes crazy. Even though no transactions are being entered into the account, and Match Lots is supposedly modal, I get several dozen Match Lots windows, all for the same security. Everything freezes until the the price update is done, and then I have to manually cancel each window (each one takes 10-20 seconds to dismiss and bring up the next one) before I can do anything.

There are two things about this security that I think might be strange. Long ago, there was a 9/2 reverse split (ratio of 0.22222222) which made for some fractional shares (the fractions where immediately sold and those sales were matched). The other is that there are Buy transactions with a zero cost. I've seen other threads that make this sound like a problem in earlier versions of Moneydance.

I have tried to recreate the problem with a small test file and have been unsuccessful. I've been using Moneydance for many years and have been through a few upgrades. In particular, the stock split was years ago (and this problem has been happening all along), so perhaps that's why I can't recreate it.

Is there a way to fix this?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 06 Feb, 2019 08:13 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I believe the problem is the buy transaction at zero cost (sell at zero cost also has the same result) . It has been found that these types and transactions and lot matching are not compatible. I think what happens is that Moneydance finds such a transaction and it has no lot information for it and because they are buy or sell transactions there should be lot information. The basic trouble is that there is no other way to add/delete shares to resolve things like fractional shares.

If you need to use zero cost transactions to adjust the number of shares I believe the only way it works without problem is to set the shares to Average cost.

2. 2 Posted by Jeff on 06 Feb, 2019 08:48 PM

Thanks! I believe the problem started happening before I did my first buy at zero cost, but I can do some experiments.

Zero is a legitimate cost basis, though. I acquired shares that I didn't pay for, and so zero is the correct basis. If I make up something to keep Match Lots happy, I'll have the wrong basis when I go to sell.

I agree completely that there should be a way to adjust the number of shares, but that's not what I'm hitting here.

3. 3 Posted by Jeff on 07 Feb, 2019 04:32 AM

Success! Eliminating all of the buys for zero fixed the problem.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 07 Feb, 2019 04:48 AM

Good to hear.

Most of the times I see this question is to adjust the number of shares after something like a stock split, hence my assumption. Your case though is much the same thing as far as what needs to happen just with a whole number of shares rather than fractional.

There are a number of key actions that are missing within Moneydance, the really important ones I believe number less than 6, this I think is one of them.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 12 Feb, 2019 09:26 PM

I have had a thought on receiving shares that you didn't pay for.

In many countries this is considered a gift which is fine as gifts are not taxed but when you come to sell if the shares are entered at zero cost then the capital gains report will show the total proceeds as a gain which is most definitely not what you want.

The shares would normally be deemed to be worth the market value when you were given them and this would be the cost basis, so the capital gains report would reflect the difference as the gain and that would feed into your taxes.

So I do not think you want to enter the initial holding at zero cost but do a buy transaction at the current market price. The funds for this I would either draw from an income category I set up for the cash value of the "Gift" or adjust the initial balance of the investment account to account for the funds. This I believe would give the appropriate cost basis moving forward.

Doing it this way means you could also return to lot matching if so desired.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac