Moneydance data disappeared

Paul Birkby

05 Feb, 2019 08:48 PM

I just downloaded the new version of Moneydance, and all of my data has disappeared. When I opened it, none of my accounts are there. Help!

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 05 Feb, 2019 09:14 PM

just a user,

You might want to provide more details. Your OS, MD build, etc. What was the old MD version ?

2. 2 Posted by Paul Birkby on 06 Feb, 2019 02:46 PM

I'm not sure what the old version of MD was. I think was 2011, although every time I'd gotten a notice that there was an upgrade available, I've upgraded. The version I upgraded to yesterday (when all my data disappeared) is 2019.1 (1855). I am running macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2.

I also have the MD App on my iPad and my data from the previous version is still there, back to February 2018, when I installed the app. I assume that my backup file feeding the app is in my Dropbox account, but I'm afraid to open that and lose that too.

Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by pbirkby001 on 09 Feb, 2019 08:37 PM

Infinite Kind Staff,

Is there a way to get the backup file from Dropbox into the new version of Moneydance that wiped all my data when I installed the new version?

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 09 Feb, 2019 08:50 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Moneydance program and the Moneydance data are stored separately. Upgrading the software on its own does not impact the data.

It sounds like you may have created or be opening a different Data Set. I f you choose the Menu item File --> Open a list of Data Sets that are in the default location should be presented for you to choose from and that you can look at.

If you may have moved your data sets you can search your hard disk for names ending in .moneydance or perhaps .md

5. 5 Posted by sth on 10 Feb, 2019 08:15 PM

Also if you are storing either your data file or your backups on Dropbox that may be an issue going forward. It can also take significant time to open or close the program and is HIGHLY not recommended by the developer.

The newer versions of MD warn against this.

If you are updating from MD 2011 there can be issues and things may need to be updated through successive versions that you have not used. Some have had success updating from 2011->2012->2014->2015->2017 before updating to MD 2019. Upon updating from a previous version MD will keep the old file as a backup file. Also older 2011 datafiles have an extension of .md and newer ones use .moneydance if you use a search function to look for them.

6. 6 Posted by Paul on 11 Feb, 2019 06:48 PM

I found the data file from my old version and it opened in the new version. Word cannot express my gratitude. I was envisioning have to reenter all my data from all my accounts from the past 8 years.

Thanks again.

7. 7 Posted by sth on 12 Feb, 2019 04:27 PM

Paul,

I can't say this loud enough and long enough... BACKUPS!!!!
    MD will make automatic backups for a few days, make sure that is active in the preferences and you know where those files are.

Both and on-site (time machine) and an offsite cloud backup for disasters such as fire, flood, hurricane, ice storm, earthquake, sea level rise, etc.

Glad you found your data.
    -Scott

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac