MD2019 - QIF import erroneously creates empty 'Imported Bank Account'

al.byrne

01 Feb, 2019 06:48 AM

While I'm having some difficulties with MD2019's new lack of support for keyboard navigation in the 'Import' dialog box (see discussion http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/50445-2019-1847-import-qif-restricted-keyboard-navigation) MD2019 is still happily allowing me to periodically (I do it every few weeks) import QIF files to each account.

Unfortunately, every import mysteriously creates an extraneous 'Imported Bank Account'. Transactions from the QIF are correctly loaded to the target account, but an extra (empty) account is created (see screenshot below). If I import a series of QIFs to multiple accounts during the same session, only one 'Imported Bank Account' is created. Thus, following any QIF data import, I need to dive in to Tools->Accounts and delete the extraneous account. I have confirmed that this behaviour can be reliably replicated - I've just tested, using four different accounts from three different banks.

I presume this behaviour is NOT as intended! (and it certainly wasn't evident in MD versions prior to MD2019).

Any thoughts?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by al.byrne on 14 Feb, 2019 09:19 PM

And, I can no longer navigate the import dialog box using just keyboard navigation.

We've gone backwards in terms of both functionality and usability, when it wasn't, as far as I could see, actually broken!

I'm currently testing an opposition product - the one that does facilitate (for an annual subscription) fully automated downloads from the major Australian banks. The UI is certainly different, but I'm encouraged. I shifted from Quicken to Moneydance after 11 years, and now, after 8 years with Moneydance, perhaps the time might be right to move on...

2. 32 Posted by michael on 15 Feb, 2019 09:32 AM

Yep they worked perfectly.

Vie rolled back to 2017 and left it until someone decided to get this important bit working correctly again

Michael
    Email: [email blocked]<blocked::mailto:[email blocked]>

3. 33 Posted by dwg on 15 Feb, 2019 10:16 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I can only suggest if you are not getting support and the product is not working as it should you do what people should do whenever they are dissatisfied and that is complain to the management.

In the case of Moneydance that means Sean Reilly and his email is

sreilly (at) infinitekind (dot) com

4. 34 Posted by Peter Barlow on 17 Feb, 2019 10:54 AM

I use PC and Mac versions of MD and only Mac version creates Imported Bank Account

5. 35 Posted by TonyRI on 17 Feb, 2019 01:47 PM

I have the option of importing qif, or qfx files from Synchrony bank. I used to always choose "Microsoft Money" format (qif). I now choose "Quicken" format for the qfx file. to avoid the extraneous imported account creation. I use a Windows 10 PC and the problem described by the OP still exists

6. 36 Posted by Peter Barlow on 20 Feb, 2019 09:25 AM

Sent: 17 February 2019 13:47
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: MD2019 - QIF import erroneously creates empty 'Imported Bank Account' [Problems #51029]

Just discovered MD for Mac only does this if I use the auto open option for .qif files. Manually importing does not create the Imported Bank Account. Have been manually importing .qif files on PC so perhaps that’s why I never saw it.

Regards

Peter

7. 37 Posted by dwg on 20 Feb, 2019 11:01 AM

All the tests I have done I have manually imported QIF files (on Windows 10), all except one imported without problems one however created the Imported Bank Account and I was able to get it to do it twice in two different data sets. I can see nothing in the QIF file that explains why.

8. 38 Posted by al.byrne on 20 Feb, 2019 11:24 AM

I continue to see the issue, absolutely repeatably, if I use ‘File->Import’, or if I double-click a downloaded QIF file in the Finder. In all cases, the erroneous empty ‘Imported bank account’ is spontaneously created during the data import.

I’m getting depressed...

9. 39 Posted by michael on 20 Feb, 2019 11:28 AM

Yes it’s a total pain and a rubbish response.

I have gone back to 2017 and its fine pro tem

Michael
    Email: [email blocked]<blocked::mailto:[email blocked]>

10. 40 Posted by dwg on 20 Feb, 2019 11:36 AM

I cannot say I blame you, QIF imports worked perfectly in previous versions the only issues were people choosing the wrong import parameters, but that is pretty easy to spot and fix.

I have posted pointers to this thread on the developers web site but have seen no acknowledgement at all.

I can only suggest complaining directly to the owner

In the case of Moneydance that means Sean Reilly and his email is

sreilly (at) infinitekind (dot) com

11. 41 Posted by michael on 20 Feb, 2019 11:50 AM

I've tried the owner. No response

--- Original message ---

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2019-01-27_at_14.09.15.jpg 24.7 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac