Base Currency

Bob Senior

14 Jan, 2019 08:42 AM

I have "updated" to Moneydance 2019.0 (version 1847). The base currency (GBP) has gone haywire. It is never 1 and keeps changing. The investment accounts are now mostly showing the wrong amounts.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Jan, 2019 09:33 AM

I am not support staff, just a user

Hi Bod

I am running 2019.0(1847) with a base currency GBP without any issues.

Can you explain further what you see when you state “The base currency (GBP) has gone haywire. It is never 1 and keeps changing.” Were do you see the 1 being another value?

Are you syncing to another computer of mobile device, phone?

If you look under TOOLS – CURRENCY does it look like the screen shot attached.

Is there more than one BRITISH POUND set up or another currency using GBP CURRENCY ID under TOOLS - CURRENCY?

2. 2 Posted by Bob Senior on 14 Jan, 2019 09:39 AM

I have only one GBP set up. I do sync to other devices. But the currency changes apparent value during a single session.

It does look like the screenshot.

Bob

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Jan, 2019 10:01 AM

Hi Bod

Are any of the other devices a computer if so, did you upgrade that to 2019.
    As you are syncing did your reset syncing? Disconnect mobile devices and set to don’t sync on computers, delete “.moneydancesync” folder in Dropbox and start syncing from scratch?

4. 4 Posted by Bob Senior on 14 Jan, 2019 10:56 AM

Hi Derek

I have done all that. But the numbers on the main computer are still haywire for the base currency. How can I correct that? Do I have to load an older backup where it was correct?

Bob

5. 5 Posted by Bob Senior on 14 Jan, 2019 12:09 PM

Derek

I am now running MD on only one computer. I have deleted all the sync files. I have replaced the data file with one from 30 December, Which I think predates MD 2019. The currencies are still haywire. So I think either currencies are held in another file or MD 2019 has a bug.

Bob

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Jan, 2019 02:37 PM

Hi Bod

Remember I can’t see what you are seeing. One of my first question was “Can you explain further what you see when you state “The base currency (GBP) has gone haywire. It is never 1 and keeps changing.” Where do you see the 1 being another value?””

I am running 2019.0(1847) with base currency GBP, so not sure the is a bug in that build itself.
    To determine this can you set up a test data set. FILE – NEW set up one bank account with a few transactions and see what happens.

But first close Moneydance then open it again. Wait for problem to occur then under HELP – CONSOLE WINDOW click COPY TO CLIPBOARD, close Moneydance. Open a text editor such as notepad and paste the error log into it. Save the text file and attach it to a post.

7. 7 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 06:47 AM

HI Derek

I tried that and various other things. It doesn't help; it doesn't show the base currency on the summary page and the data is not complicated enough to reproduce an error. I have tried going back to an earlier version of the application, the data and the application support (I am running on a mac). Nothing helps. I haven't managed to get back to Moneydance 2017 but I think I might have to.

I attach a screen shot of the relevant part of the summary page.

Regards
    Bob

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 15 Jan, 2019 07:34 AM

I would check the basics first.

Select the menu items Tools --> Currency.

This should show the base currency for the Data Set as a Whole

9. 9 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 08:11 AM

Tools currency doesn’t show a value for the Base Currency.

Bob

10. 10 Posted by priggall on 15 Jan, 2019 08:15 AM

I have a similar issue with base currency Australian Dollars, please see my post MD 2019 Current Price corruption"

11. 11 Posted by dwg on 15 Jan, 2019 08:17 AM

It needs to have one set then, from your posts I would assume it should be GBP

12. 12 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 08:33 AM

Hi Bod

Your attachment indicates that you have somehow no base currency set or your base currency is not British Pounds or you have two British Pounds set up under TOOL – CURRENCY. I have reposted the screen shot from my post 1 with the base currency highlighted. Recheck. Post a screen shot equivalent to mine.

13. 13 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 08:51 AM

Hi Bod

If no base currency is set or wrong currency under TOOLS – CURRENCY highlight British Pounds and see if SET BASE CURRENCY is not greyed out. If it OK click on it.

14. 14 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 08:53 AM

Here is the equivalent screen shot. We don't seem to be getting anywhere. I would appreciate a response from support, who know what is going on under the hood in MoneyDance 2019.

In answer to your next email Base Currency is greyed out.

Bob

15. 15 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 09:50 AM

Hi Bod

OK I will flag this thread on Sean, Moneydances software developers, Slack site.
    Hopefully he will respond.

16. 16 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 10:03 AM

Thanks

Bob

17. 17 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 10:15 AM

Hi Bod

Last suggestions whilst you wait.
    Make sure you have a backup

Uninstall 2019. Uninstalling will not affect your data set or backups.
    There is a configuration fill called config.dict rename it to config.dict_old This file holds all your preferences including your key so make sure you have a copy of your key.
    Reinstall 2019.
    When you start Moneydance config.dict will be created in its default form, see what happens now.

18. 18 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 11:44 AM

Thanks. This did not work either.

Bob

19. 19 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 02:25 PM

Hi Bod

The British Pound should not be listed on the summary page along with other exchange rates.
    Double click on British Pounds then EDIT. Take a screen shot.
    If there are any dated Rates click CLEAR ALL. Change RATE value to 1.

Then whatever happens post the screen shot with your comments.

20. 20 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 02:30 PM

You can't edit it while it is the base currency. I did change base currency from USD in 2015 when we moved country so it does hold a history. I could go in and delete it by temporarily changing base currency, though I wouldn't want it ti change any past transactions.

Bob

21. 21 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 02:50 PM

My stock prices have all gone wrong too.

22. 22 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 02:58 PM

Hi Bod

The fact you changed the base currency back in 2015 could be the key to the problem.
    If you have a EXPORT BACKUP you can always RESTORE FROM BACKUP. The data including the setting of the base currency is in the backup.
    My first thought was:-
    So change base currency to USD. Then edit British Pound If there are any dated Rates click CLEAR ALL. Change RATE value to 1. Change the base currency back to British Pounds. But on reflection changing back to GBP would probably not convert all the dollar values back to Pounds as the exchange rate has been change to 1.

Probably best to wait for Sean. Will pass the info on about the 2015 change of base currency.

23. 23 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 03:12 PM

I tried all that. Just created more havoc.

I have reverted back to MD2017 and data now ship shape, I just had to correct two stock prices. Base Currency now not shown on summary page. I will not upgrade again until the issue has been addressed.

Thanks for your help.
    Bob

24. 24 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 03:17 PM

Hi Bod

One thing Sean will probably ask for is a copy of the error log file errlog.txt as I requested in post 6.
    First close Moneydance then open it again. Wait for problem to occur then under HELP – CONSOLE WINDOW click COPY TO CLIPBOARD, close Moneydance. Open a text editor such as notepad and paste the error log into it. Save the text file and attach it to a post.
    Edit post crossed, probably to late to post error log?

25. 25 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 03:26 PM

If he really needs it I can do it by upgrading and then reverting. I can just park the MD2017 and the data, while I do it. Less time consuming than getting things back from time machine.

26. 26 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 03:29 PM

Hi Bod

OK

27. 27 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 03:34 PM

I had discussions with Sean about multi-currency issues in 2005 when I migrated from Quicken for windows.

28. 28 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 03:41 PM

Hi Bod

Out of interest in 2017 I set up a new data set in USD. Added an exchange rate. Added a USD and GBP bank account. Entered a transaction in each. Changed the base currency to GBP. EXPORT BACKUP. RESTORED FROM BACKUP in 2019 hoping to duplicate your problem, but no everything worked correctly.

29. 29 Posted by Bob Senior on 15 Jan, 2019 03:44 PM

Hi Derek

I have a complex dataset. btw it is Bob not Bod

Regards
    Bob

30. 30 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2019 03:45 PM

Sorry Bob

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac