Duplicate transactions appeared randomly

Sean Price

14 Jan, 2019 08:08 AM

As at last Friday at 9am my account were fine. By lunch time some of my scheduled transaction reminders had come up going as far back as November for no explicable reason. These transactions appear to be duplicates of what was already there and reconciled.

1. 1 Posted by Sean Price on 14 Jan, 2019 08:10 AM

The matter is urgent as I'm attempting to finish my tax returns (deadline is imminent) and None of my accounts show the correct balance.

2. 2 Posted by mhoggie on 14 Jan, 2019 01:29 PM

just a user,

Are you by chance using syncing with another PC ?

3. 3 Posted by Sean Price on 14 Jan, 2019 02:11 PM

no but i am syncing with iphone through dropbox

is there a helpline i can phone as i need to sort this today?

Regards
    Sean Price
    07738 675390
    Sent from my iPhone

4. 4 Posted by Sean Price on 14 Jan, 2019 05:45 PM

It appears my transactions reminders have regressed back in time and self applied themselves over the past three months. I have no idea why. Please help?

5. 5 Posted by mhoggie on 14 Jan, 2019 08:52 PM

just a user,

While your waiting for an IK response, let me suggest that you may need to turn off dropbox syncing while your sorting this out. That's the only way I am aware of that can cause reminder reposting like your describing. The dropbox copy will have a complete copy of your MD database including reminders. If for some reason your PC database appears to be older than the copy on dropbox, MD will try to update your PC with whatever appears to be the most current. If you have some auto commit reminders, then duplicate entries can occur. I noticed a similar issue on my setup using Win 7-64 and MD 2017. I think this might be related to the time and date stamps saved on the dropbox copy. I noticed my main PC the clock was several minutes slow even with the time server turned on. My cell phone and other PC which sync through dropbox had accurate time. I think that discrepancy caused my reminders to be update oddly. Depending on how big a problem you have, I would tempted to restore a MD backup from a date prior to when your problem started. I think by default MD keeps backups going back 5 days.

6. 6 Posted by Sean Price on 14 Jan, 2019 09:26 PM

hi

many thanks for that how do i restore a dated back up?

Regards
    Sean Price
    07738 675390
    Sent from my iPhone

7. 7 Posted by mhoggie on 14 Jan, 2019 11:27 PM

just a user,

You want to click File, Restore from Backup

On Windows, the backup files are stored at
    C:\Users\your-user-name\.moneydance\archive\backups
    You can confirm by clicking Help, Show Backup Folder
    You will notice after clicking Restore from Backup the directory of the backup folder.
    You should see your data set name expanded with the date.
    Select the one you need and open.
    That will restore everything back to that date.
    Also remember to turn sync off until you can verify correct time on your PC.

8. 8 Posted by priceworld on 15 Jan, 2019 09:16 AM

Hi mhoggie

Many thanks for your help all sorted now just a little concerned on how it happened.

Reluctant to turn sync back on until after I have completed tax returns.

So useful having Moneydance on my phone though.

Your help is much appreciated.

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 15 Jan, 2019 09:42 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I would certain recommend completing your tax returns before doing anything else.

I would suggest before starting to set up syncing that you delete all the existing Moneydance data out of drop box. Starting with a clean slate is always a good idea.

There have been some reported cases of syncing appearing to get confused and strange things happening, some instances have a very identifiable cause - we used to see it a lot when people stored their data file in their dropbox folder, in other instances it seems that something has thrown it out, as to what I have no idea, I suspect we have a lack of data on exactly what was happening on the computer in question.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac