Archiving old data and deleting unwanted / old transactions

Patrick Litton

12 Jan, 2019 05:25 PM

See http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/45101-archiving-data

I have been asking for some years if you are going to reinstate th ability to archive data and remove old transactions.

I have data going back years and years and the files are now very large. I would like to clean them up.

3 years ago, this was stated as being on the development list. Is it still there? Is there any target date?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Jan, 2019 06:40 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

2019 became the stable release today replacing 2017.
    As expected, the ability to archive data is not included.
    However, steps have been taken to reduce the data set size, compressed and consolidated to reduce the number of internal files, speed up opening and closing as well as speed up creating a backup by adding a buffer.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by sth on 13 Jan, 2019 07:21 PM

I don't think this is on the road map any longer. As has been discussed at length the issues with archiving and reliably maintaining records for past events is probably a waste of design time. Storage is relatively cheap these days and thus file size is not as troublesome as it used to be.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 13 Jan, 2019 08:34 PM

I'm a fellow user.

With the file structure in MD 2015 and beyond Archiving would actually increase the size of your current file!

This is because it does not actually change a record, rather it records changes as separate records. So if you enter a transaction it record this, if you later "change" that transaction, it records the actual change as a transaction, if you then delete the transaction it records a deletion as a transaction, so in this example it actually has 3 records for the one transaction, so all an archive function would achieve in the current data file it to record a record deletion so the original record is still there as is a new record for the delete.

4. 4 Posted by Patrick Litton on 14 Jan, 2019 09:28 AM

Thanks for your responses. Most useful to know.

As you say, storage is no longer an issue and even the upload speeds now cause me less issue that before.

I suppose it's just my preference to keep all the files tidy and delete old / unnecessary data. As I'm an accountant, closing years and rolling balances forward is second nature to me in all the packages I work on professionally, so I am slightly perplexed when it isn't a standard feature. But this is not an accounting package in that sense.

Thanks again for your input

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 14 Jan, 2019 09:42 AM

In Moneydance it caused other problems, especially with Investments, where as I am sure you know you cannot archive based on dates as active investments can go back many years and you need to keep the actual transactions. This has a flow on effect in that investment accounts often include transactions to bank accounts, strip those transactions from bank accounts and because Moneydance uses the principles of Double Entry they get removed from the Investment account as well.

All in all Archiving had the potential to make a real mess of Investment accounts

With the old paper based systems when you start a new "book" there is an implicit link to the old, that does not happen with moneydance as an archive file had no linkage to the current file.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac