Cannot create Java Virtual Machine

Brett Boniface

07 Dec, 2018 01:15 PM

I recently bought a new PC with windows 10 64-bit and decided to purchase Moneydance. Having installed it, I started it and it immediately displayed the message 'Error.: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine Program will exit'. It seemed that my PC didn't have Java so I installed that (Version 8 Update 191), but I still get the same message. Help would be appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2018 01:45 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Moneydance has a version of Java embedded, no need to install a separate version.
    I small number of users have reported issues with installing the 64-bit version. Assuming you purchase direct try installing the 32-bit version from https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Brett Boniface on 07 Dec, 2018 02:40 PM

Hi Derek. I have installed the 32-bit version and it seems to work fine. Thanks very much for your help.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2018 03:05 PM

Glad to be able to help.

4. 4 Posted by Brett Boniface on 07 Dec, 2018 04:29 PM

The only problem I have now is that I have a demo version which only allows 100 transactions. Having bought the 64-bit version, I now need to transfer my license to the 32-bit version. Don't want to pay twice!

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2018 04:45 PM

The key you purchased is valid for 32 or 64 bit windows as well as Mac and Linux.
    You only need one key per household no matter what the operating system of how many computers. see http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/purchasing-and-upgrading/licensing-...
    Just enter the key you purchased.

Hope this kelps

6. 6 Posted by Brett Boniface on 07 Dec, 2018 05:25 PM

I bought this product on Microsoft store so don't appear to have a key. Any way of finding out what the key is, please?

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2018 07:08 PM

Not certain about this but if its anything like the Apple store version the key is imbedded and can’t be extracted. The version on this site have separate keys which are emailed to you on purchase.
    If I was you, I would look into Microsoft return policy explaining the 64-bit version want run on your computer.
    Failing that start another thread asking for support help explaining you purchased via Microsoft store and the 64-bit version want run on your computer but you downloaded the 32-bit version and that runs in the trial mode, can they help.

Hope this helps.

8. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 07 Dec, 2018 07:13 PM

Hi Brett,

Per the Microsoft Store, the architecture of the application sold there is x(86) which suggests to me that it is the 32-bit version of the program. (see screenshot)

Regardless of that, if you don't hear from Moneydance Support so as to resolve this matter, (they may or may not offer you a license key) Something that you can try is to reinstall the Microsoft Store version of Moneydance and then try the following:

First, try opening Moneydance. It might just work now. If not...

Open Notepad as an Administrator. (It is imperative that you run Notepad as an Administrator)

From the Notepad menu bar, go to File > Open.

From the lower right-hand corner of the resulting file chooser, select the
    'All Files ( * . * )' option from the drop-down.

Navigate to C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Moneydance \ Moneydance.vmoptions

Open Moneydance.vmoptions

Enter a # in front of the line -Xmx1024m

Remove the # in front of the line -Xmx2048m

Close the file and save the changes.

Try opening Moneydance.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac