Pop Up Windows not closing

yardy

06 Dec, 2018 02:42 PM

I am finding that sometimes a pop up window for a reminder will not close when the red close button is pressed. The same is true for the Acknowledge or the Defer buttons. It stays 'on top' of all windows. I am version the latest version of MD 2017.10 (1706) and OSX 10.14.1
The only way to close this pop up is to quit MD and then restart MD.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Henry on 08 Dec, 2018 01:55 AM

Hi Yardy,

Thank you for contacting us.
    There was one more customer with the same issue and the solution we found was the following:

Reset your Moneydance preferences To do this, you have to rename your config.dict file. As you're using Mac OS X, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go>Go to Folder> and type in:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

Once you've found your config.dict file, close Moneydance and rename it (to something like config2.dict, for example), then open Moneydance again and it will appear as though you've just installed Moneydance for the first time, so you'll have to locate and open your data set again. After you have done so open Moneydance and test the reminder, if it works close Moneydance and rename the original config.dict file back to config.dict and open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by yardy on 08 Dec, 2018 01:39 PM

Henry, This sounds fine but when one reverts to the original config.dict file one will have two files with the same name. I assume I have to delete the ’new’ config.dict file before renaming config2.dict back to config.dict. Please confirm.

Second, what is this process really doing ? It sounds like my data file would be modified by the process of opening the data file with a ‘new' config.dict file, and these changes are then carried forward when returning to the ‘old’ config.dict file. What are the dangers in doing all of this ? I cannot possibly risk my data.

Ray Yardy

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Henry on 08 Dec, 2018 01:54 PM

Hi Ray,

As the original config.dict file is only renamed it stays in it's original for, all changes are reverted once you delete the newly created config.dict file and rename the original file.
    Nothing is lost.
    The main purpose of this is to reset the behavior of the window, by removing the setup of the reminders temporarily, which restores the original behavior, once restored the config file can be restored and the correct behavior stays.

I have reported the issue to the development team and was told that this type of issue will not be present in the future release of Moneydance due to a change in the bundled java.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by sth on 09 Dec, 2018 11:08 PM

It probably has nothing to do with the config file and is a Java bug. There are a lot of them that make using MD problematic. Windows open behind other windows. Sometimes the window close button refuses to close a window. The only solution is to quit and restart MD. A true native app would avoid most of this, but lose the "easy" cross platform capabilities.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac