Updating Accounts

Stuart Swenson

21 Nov, 2018 05:08 PM

We have Moneydance version 2017.7.1 (1671), and recently opened another bank account (German American bank, germanamerican.com), We now update/download the expenses/deposits daily for this and other accounts. On many occasions (not all the time), when doing the first update download of the day, the new account not only gives us the new deposits and expenses, it also enters the old ones, so we have to go through the file (still small) and eliminate the double entries. What can I do about that? Our other bank accounts in Moneydance don't do this.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 21 Nov, 2018 05:53 PM

just a user,

Do you have the QFX download format available on your bank downloads? I've been told QFX has features that avoid duplicates

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Swenson on 21 Nov, 2018 07:42 PM

I think I do. I'll try it. Thank you. Let's see how it goes.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 21 Nov, 2018 07:52 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The OFX specification has a Transaction ID field, this is supposed to be a unique transaction number assigned by the bank. Moneydance (and other programs) can use this ID to prevent the loading of duplicate transactions. No other format has this, including QIF which was not designed for transaction downloads but has been in use for many years by vendors for this purpose.

If you do not have the OFX/QFX format available the best approach is to limit the dates that are downloaded each time, many banks have filter settings that will achieve this and this should also prevent the duplicate problem.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac