Moved some files on computer and lost location of MoneyDance data. What do I look for in Backup?

Nancy Harms

19 Nov, 2018 09:04 AM

I reorganized my computer and lost location of my MoneyDance data.

What is the file name of the most recent copy of MoneyDance data and where do I find it on backup??

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Nov, 2018 09:43 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Your data set is not a file but is a folder containing other folders and files. The naming convention for the data set folder is yourdatasetname.momeydance.

If Moneydance opens in the welcome window I would suggest setting up a dummy data set by selecting “Create a new account set”. The default location for a data set can be found under HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. This opens a file finder at this location. Close moneydance. Search for your original data set folder, if you find if move the folder and its contents to this location. Open moneydance again and use FILE – OPEN and select your original data set.

If you can’t find your data set you need to find Moneydance backups.

Moneydance has two methods for making a backup.
    The default backup location can be found under HELP – SHOW ARCHIVE FOLDER in a folder called Backups.
    Manual backup. A manual backup is made under FILE – BACKUP EXPORT. The file naming convention is yourdatasetname-yyyymmdd-tttt.moneydancearchive
    Automatic backup is set under FILE – PREFERENCES – BACKUPS. Auto backup makes a backup every time you close Moneydance. Moneydance only keep the last auto backup of the day, overwriting any previous auto backups for that day. You can set the number of backups to be kept. When this number is exceeded the oldest backup is deleted. The file naming convention is yourdatasetname.yyyy-mm-dd.moneydancearchive

A moneydancearchive file is a compressed data set.

If you cant find your backup in the default location search for a file with the extension “.moneydancearchive” and move the file to the default location.

Restore a backup using FILE – RESTORE FROM BACKUP.
    When you FILE – RESTORE FROM BACKUP a new data set is created with the naming convention – from manual backup yourdatasetname-yyyymmdd-tttt.moneydance the date time code taken from the backup file - from auto backup yourdatasetname (plus at number) e.g. yourdatasetname 2.moneydance The default data set location can be found under HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. You can rename a restored data set with Moneydance closed as you would any other folder provided you retain “.moneydance” extension. A data set is a folder not a file containing other folders and files. When you open Moneydance it will open in the “Welcome to Moneydance” window with the data set name listed on the right.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac