Bought a new Mac after old one crashed. Now MoneyDance will not boot.

Angela Allberry

11 Nov, 2018 12:55 AM

And I also cannot find all my files. What can I do?

1. 1 Posted by sth on 11 Nov, 2018 11:27 PM

Lots of things. But I have some questions....
    What version of MD are you trying to run. Some of the older versions of MD do not do well with the newer operating systems.
    Are you getting no response when you double click on the MD icon in your Applications folder? Have you reinstalled MD on the new machine?

2. 2 Posted by Dominick on 12 Nov, 2018 02:23 AM

I too am having problems now that I have a new Mac. Mine is that I have MD on all devices (iPhone, iPad and OLD MacMini) but when I went to download app its asking for 50 bucks. Isn't there a way to download and Putin my credentials to avoid paying again. I have had it since 2013.

3. 3 Posted by sth on 12 Nov, 2018 04:39 PM

Dominick, this is a completely different problem and you are sort of hijacking the discussion from Angela! You should start a new thread.

You can download any version of MD without paying. MD will only ask for payment after you download and install it and it runs in demo mode. You seem to be using MD 2012 since you haven't been clear about what versions you are running or having problems with.. At the bottom of the downloads page you can download older versions. Your credentials will work with the version you purchased.

That being said, you will be disappointed trying to run MD version 2012 on Mac OS Mojave. There are numerous problems. That version of MD was designed for Mac OS El Capitan or something.... I high suggest that you actually purchase the upgrade (which is actually half price if you previously bought MD). Paying $25 for software every 5 years is not really out of line.

I suggest to avoid having to purchase a new license that you sell your new machine and buy a 2013 vintage machine for a lot less and install Mac OS El Capitan on it, then MD 2012 will run fine.
    (Not IK support, they aren't as snarky as me and have more patience)

4. 4 Posted by Dominick Volpe on 12 Nov, 2018 04:55 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Bought a new Mac after old one crashed. Now MoneyDance will not boot.

I didn’t mean to “hijack” any discussion, just trying to get someone to help me. You would think there would be a actual customer service dept. to call but…..

You can’t download any version. It asks me to buy for $49.99, not 25 bucks as you stated…Period. I already been using on the new Mojave and worked fine, its just my computer gave up all together. It is not about the 50 bucks (again not 25) ever 5 years, but if something is working fine why should I have to pay for it again. If so, please note in the app “you will have to re-new every 5 years, thanks you”.

If you have no patience for this, then bit of advice…..don’t respond. Thanks.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Henry on 12 Nov, 2018 06:45 PM

@Angela Thank you for contacting us.
    Would it be possible for you to answer sth's questions as the answers will help us out immensely to find a solution.

@sth Thank you for your great responses.

@Dominick I have answered your other discussion, we can continue there.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by sth on 12 Nov, 2018 07:36 PM

@Dominick, I think you have Henry to help. But go to Moneydance.com, click on the obvious download link. Go to the bottom of the page and there is a click "here" for previous versions. Click on that and you can download any of those versions without any monetary requests.

If you go to the purchase page, it has a big box for a purchasing that allows you to put in your previous purchase code. This will give you a 50% discount. Spend some time reading the text on the download page and the purchase page.

If you purchased through the Mac Apple Store then all bets are off and I assumed by having "credentials" you meant the Moneydance activation code.

7. 7 Posted by glumfolio3 on 13 Nov, 2018 08:38 AM

After experimentation, I got MoneyDance to boot. It is version 2015.3 (1175). I found a datafile, but it is old, old, old. I keep two accounts - my old plus I am trustee for a mentally ill family member's trust. I found .moneydance files on the external disk drive. But all data was entered in December 2017. Time Machine backs up data automatically, and I don't know what happened to the files! What could they be filed under?

8. 8 Posted by sth on 13 Nov, 2018 01:55 PM

Files can be several places.
    The standard location is:
    Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents
    Press the option key and use the "Go" menu in the finder to access the Library folder.
    Or open a finder window, press Shift-Option-G and paste in this path
    ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents

Or any where else you may have moved the file. I keep the data file in a separate folder for financial records. I do not know exactly what you have TimeMachine backing up so I don't know if that was done.

MD should make backups every day when you open and close the application. These are set in the preferences as to where they are. You can search for the data files by searching for ".moneydance" (without the quotes but with the leading dot as a file name. Search the entire home directory and you should find it. You can also search for files ending with ".moneydancearchive" and start from those backups.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac