imported account still shows balance

drdrpm

19 Sep, 2018 10:25 PM

Ok, so I downloaded Moneydance in aid of transitioning from Quicken. Imported Quicken data. One account stubbornly shows a balance in the left-hand column, but in the account's registry the balance has zeroed out. What's going on? How do I fix it?

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 19 Sep, 2018 11:52 PM

just a user

You can set the side bar to show different values. Current balance, cleared balance, and balance. That can be set in File, Preferences, Side Bar balance type. Also you will find a Balance show at the very bottom of the page when you have the register open for an account. If you click the balance it will show all the variations.

2. 2 Posted by drdrpm on 20 Sep, 2018 02:18 AM

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, I cannot find Side Bar balance type in file, preferences. And, since I closed and reopened the program, the balances in the register and the sidebar have both changed for no reason I can discern. Any more ideas?

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 20 Sep, 2018 03:15 AM

Here is setting that may help in the File, Preferences page.

4. 4 Posted by drdrpm on 20 Sep, 2018 03:44 PM

Got it, thanks. Except the balances are still wrong no matter which I choose. I'm also not entirely clear what the differences between the balances should be.

Most of my accounts are ok, or close to it. But investment accounts in particular are skewed badly.

Also, in the edit account box there is a default category. I'm not sure what that is referring to, either.

I really appreciate your efforts to help!

5. 5 Posted by drdrpm on 20 Sep, 2018 03:59 PM

Aaugh! Now I can't even open the financial file!

6. 6 Posted by mhoggie on 20 Sep, 2018 09:33 PM

just a user,

investment accounts are a bit more complicated.

Are you saying that you have a checking, savings, or credit card account where the register balance does not match the balance shown on the sidebar ?
    If so, with the register sorted by descending date, do you find the balance that the side bar is showing ?

7. 7 Posted by drdrpm on 20 Sep, 2018 11:30 PM

Some are not in either place. I think.

I'm pretty sure I've made some significant mistakes with the file. I'd like to delete it and start over. Do you know how I can do that?

8. 8 Posted by sth on 21 Sep, 2018 12:32 AM

There is a big difference between Q and MD. MD is a double entry book keeping so there are two sides for every transaction. If you get a paycheck, there is a deposit into your checking account and a withdrawal from the "income category".

When you import, any transfers into or out of a bank account to an investment account may be doubled. Q has them as two separate transactions and MD has them as two sides of one transaction.

To start a new account, just go to File->New and create a new account book. Then import JUST THE ACCOUNT INFO. Then import the same file again but import all. This seems to be the best way to transfer as much as possible. I did have to clean up some double entries when I did that.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac