moneydance takes 5-10 minutes to open in windows 10

Ramiro

14 Sep, 2018 05:47 PM

i downloaded moneydance trial and imported quicken files to it. import worked (except for reminders). But it takes at least 5 minutes for the program to open after i click on it. Can that be fixed?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 14 Sep, 2018 06:40 PM

Hi Ramiro,

It may be that the program is going through some self-cleanup but still 5 mins sounds excessive.

Let Moneydance start and remain running for a few minutes. You can check to see if there is any behine-the-scenes activity by opening the console window (MD menu bar > Help > Show Console Window.)

When there appears to be no activity, close Moneydance and restart it again to see if the start up time improves any.

There were some reports of the 64-bit version not opening at all. Perhaps it was just what you are experiencing. A really long startup.

If after a few startups, there appears to be no improvement and you're using the 64-bit version of the program, try uninstalling it and d/l the 32-bit version.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the program will not effect your current data set. BUT, make a backup just in case.

You can d/l the 32-bit version here:
    http://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

Let us know if it performs any better. OK?

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Ramiro Valdez on 14 Sep, 2018 07:38 PM

I looked at the console. Appears to be no activity after it finally loads. Says something about 122 seconds loading trunk data. “Error loading theme”.

Can I send this file or something else in to support? Maybe they can help. Why would 64bit not work? Is this very new software? Ide hate to spend $40 only to keep having issues with a beta program.

3. 3 Posted by sth on 15 Sep, 2018 12:45 AM

The theme error just means you never created a custom theme. Doesn't mean anything.

Just as a simple question, is your data file on a local hard drive on or a networked drive? That can make a big difference in opening.

How big is your file? Mine is about 390 MB and it takes 11 seconds to load the trunk data.

reading trunk data tiksync/trunk
    trunk data loaded (11.426 seconds), checking for incremental updates

4. 4 Posted by Ramiro Valdez on 15 Sep, 2018 12:58 AM

Starting Moneydance 2017.8 (1691) at Fri Sep 14 19:52:24 CDT 2018

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance

Java: 1.8.0_162 (Oracle Corporation)

Is in sandbox: false; restricted file access: false

Initializing Moneydance SSL

Created new custom trust manager

multires images available: true

error loading properties for theme custom from URL: file:/C:/Users/Ram/.moneydance/custom_theme.properties error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance\custom_theme.properties (The system cannot find the file specified)

opening last file: Personal Finances

loading dataset: C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance\Documents\Personal Finances.moneydance

loading with 128 bit encryption key

trunk data loaded (175.679 seconds), checking for incremental updates

loading un-synced txn files...

loading synced txn files...

replacing root: null () with new root: Personal Finances (e2b08242-bc4f-4804-a28a-2042f0084f03

dropbox folder should be at C:\Users\Ram\Dropbox and exists=false

set antialiasing to HRGB

Well, the check register does go back to 1999. I had quicken for a long time. I would just keep installing the back-up when I got a new version. It didn’t seem to affect quicken start up but maybe that’s the problem with this software.

5. 5 Posted by Ramiro Valdez on 15 Sep, 2018 03:28 AM

Starting Moneydance 2017.8 (1691) at Fri Sep 14 22:19:28 CDT 2018

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance

Java: 1.8.0_162 (Oracle Corporation)

Is in sandbox: false; restricted file access: false

Initializing Moneydance SSL

Created new custom trust manager

multires images available: true

error loading properties for theme custom from URL: file:/C:/Users/Ram/.moneydance/custom_theme.properties error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance\custom_theme.properties (The system cannot find the file specified)

opening last file: Personal Finances

loading dataset: C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance\Documents\Personal Finances.moneydance

loading with 128 bit encryption key

trunk data loaded (172.956 seconds), checking for incremental updates

loading un-synced txn files...

loading synced txn files...

replacing root: null () with new root: Personal Finances (e2b08242-bc4f-4804-a28a-2042f0084f03

dropbox folder should be at C:\Users\Ram\Dropbox and exists=false

set antialiasing to HRGB

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018 7:45 PM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: moneydance takes 5-10 minutes to open in windows 10 [Problems #47629]

I deleted all transactions before the beginning of 2018. Still taking very long time to load trunk file. How do I fix? I’d like to keep this years’s transactions. Do I need to start a new account and not import anything to get the software to work?

6. 6 Posted by sth on 15 Sep, 2018 12:53 PM

Ramiro,

I am not sure. My account also goes back to 1/1/1998 (and I have entered a few investment accounts even earlier). Unless you have a very very large number of transactions in that time period I would not expect the loading time to be much different than mine. The 3 minutes to load the trunk data is slow but that is a single file.

Opening MD can take a lot of disk activity, it could be a slow or even a failing disk. I am running on a 9 year old Mac and the performance is acceptable though a bit slow.

Is your system low on RAM (no pun intended) and thus doing a lot of disk swapping. When MD is loaded it can take 1 to 3 GB of RAM.
    -Scott (not IK support)

7. 7 Posted by Ramiro Valdez on 17 Sep, 2018 02:50 PM

This is a fairly new laptop with 8 gigs of ram. I installed a very old version of quicken that is working. I liked the Moneydance but I don’t want to wait 5 minutes for it to open every time. Thanks anyway.

8. 8 Posted by sth on 17 Sep, 2018 03:29 PM

I recall a slow down due to "out of date" extensions. Try deleting the extensions and then adding them in one by one.

9. 9 Posted by jeff on 17 Sep, 2018 06:32 PM

Hi Ramiro,

Taking 173 seconds to load the trunk file is quite ridiculous.

I would suggest you try this:-

Create a new Data set, add a few dummy transactions. Now see how long it takes your trunk file to load. I’ve just tried it, and I get a time of 0.02 seconds, very quick! The program runs at warp speed. Loads in an instant & shuts down immediately.

If you don’t get results like this, then either you have an operating system problem, hard disk problem or something else going on unrelated to MoneyDance. Maybe Anti virus program.

The only remaining probable culprit would be severe corruption in your imported Quicken QIF file. I would probably suggest that’s where the problem is anyway.

As has already been suggested, remove ALL extensions for now. And try both 32 & 64 bit versions.

Jeff – fellow user

10. 10 Posted by jeff on 17 Sep, 2018 06:41 PM

Hi Ramiro,

Taking 173 seconds to load the trunk file is quite ridiculous.

I would suggest you try this:-

Create a new Data set, add a few dummy transactions. Now see how long it takes your trunk file to load. I’ve just tried it, and I get a time of 0.02 seconds, very quick! The program runs at warp speed. Loads in an instant & shuts down immediately.

If you don’t get results like this, then either you have an operating system problem, hard disk problem or something else going on unrelated to MoneyDance. Maybe Anti virus program.

The only remaining possible culprit would be severe corruption in your imported Quicken QIF file. I would probably suggest that’s where the problem is anyway.

As has already been suggested, remove ALL extensions for now. And try both the 32 bit & 64bit version of MoneyDance.

Jeff – fellow user

11. 11 Posted by Ramiro Valdez on 17 Sep, 2018 08:18 PM

No extensions installed.

12. 12 Posted by Ramiro Valdez on 17 Sep, 2018 09:37 PM

I deleted both checking and savings accounts, created a checking account with 3 dummy transactions. 159 seconds to load trunk file.

13. 13 Posted by sth on 17 Sep, 2018 10:11 PM

Yikes. I finally had a moment to look in detail at your log file. I finally saw the dot in front of the moneydance folder.

C:\Users\Ram.moneydance\Documents\Personal Finances.moneydance

This seems bad. Very bad. That is a hidden setting file. Somehow you have put your data file inside your settings. I am not a windows person but I think that is a bad place.

Try putting the "Personal Finances.moneydance" file in your documents folder. You may have to clean up your setting file by deleting it and resetting all your preferences and extensions. Launch the file from there.

14. 14 Posted by hleofxquotes on 17 Sep, 2018 10:21 PM

trunk data loaded (175.679 seconds), checking for incremental updates

I would check file tiksync/trunk (specifically
    C:\Users\Ram\.moneydance\Documents\Personal Finances.moneydance\safe\tiksync\trunk

Large file? small file?

15. 15 Posted by dwg on 17 Sep, 2018 10:25 PM

I believe one of the things being suggested was to create an entirely new Moneydance data set, create a new account in it and add a couple of transactions, then test the loading time.

This should hopefully eliminate the environment as being a potential cause.

16. 16 Posted by dwg on 17 Sep, 2018 10:31 PM

Scott,

A "." in front of a file/folder name is certainly unusual in the windows world but does not mean it is a hidden file. I suspect the naming is a carryover from another O/S

17. 17 Posted by hleofxquotes on 17 Sep, 2018 10:55 PM

When I worked on Rhumba, I did a quick experiment and I believe these are the values for out-of-the-box MD's Document directory

• Mac: /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents/
    • Window: C:/Users/xxx/.moneydance/Documents/
    • Unix: /home/xxx/.moneydance/Documents/

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac