UK Stock Price Update not working properly

Gerry

12 Aug, 2018 10:54 AM

Moneydance version 2017.8 (1691) with Alpha Vantage Stock and Quote Updater installed.
Gathers historical and current stock prices once a week for my first four stocks as usual. The remainder were last updated on 27th July 2018. What can have gone wrong?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Aug, 2018 12:49 PM

I am not support staff, just a juser.

I think the current Q & ER extension v1018 works on the principal of a 15 second delay after 5 connections. Connections being a 1.5 second intervals. Approximately 15 connections per minute. It looks like Alpha Vantage is only going to allow 5 connections per minute for free, hence the errors you are seeing.

I am a UK investor and have found that Alpha Vantage provide very poor support for UK/Irish/Luxenberg etc, domiciled funds. I have removed the Q & ER extension as I was also getting inaccurate data messing up the price history for some of the securities it could find data on. A major problem being that on some funds the prices keep switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds

I am using a free stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is actively supporting this software and has adapted it to work with Moneydance. More feature in the pipeline. This current build very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include obtaining quote for stocks & funds, from many stock exchanges US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. You can also import exchange rates along with your security prices. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers.

Take a look at his thread and download the PDF outlining how to use the program and link to download the program. Post 236 in this thread.
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Let us know how this program performs for you and post if you have any problems.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by Gerry Harris on 15 Aug, 2018 08:20 AM

I have never had the problems you describe with Alpha Vantage. I was hoping to get some feedback from Infinite Kind as I consider that I have paid for this package which no longer works as it should.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 15 Aug, 2018 08:45 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Alpha Vantage keeps moving the goalposts. It appears they have lowered the update frequency they allow for free connectivity and once this limit is reached Alpha Vantage will not return prices until the timer starts again. Once suspects this is a tactic to persuade users to purchased their not inexpensive packages.

The extension code will need to be altered yet again to cope with this but one wonders how often Alpha Vantage will change things or if they will perhaps just discontinue the free service.

Identifying decent sources of usable data seems to be the biggest problem.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac