Capital gains report reporting zero cost basis

meme_lara

10 Aug, 2018 05:21 PM

Hello,

I upgraded to the most recent version 2017.8 (1691) for Mac. The capital gain reports is showing odd gains. I noticed the pattern that any security with a current actual capital loss, shows cost basis as zero, creating an misleading exaggerated gain equal to the current price value. The actual values in the investment are OK, so it seems to be a reporting error only.

As a note, my home currency is different than security currency.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Aug, 2018 05:40 PM

Hi meme_lara,

I don't dabble in different currencies so I can't speak to that.

Can you confirm that with the security in question, you used Lot Matching vs. Avg. Cost as the Cost Basis.

It has been my experience that Lot Matching needs to be used in order for the Cap Gains report to provide accurate results.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by meme_lara on 10 Aug, 2018 07:40 PM

Hi Kevin. Thanks for your answer. These securities are set to avg cost. Prior to the upgrade, the report was working fine. I kept that older instance, and when i use it to see the very same report, it shows ok. Therefore, i assume something broke for the report in the latest update.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 10 Aug, 2018 08:21 PM

Hi meme_lara,

Smart move in keeping the prior version.

Moneydance has cured me of upgrade fever. There always seems to be some new or old bug introduced with every upgrade.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac