Error downloading security prices

Jeremy

06 Aug, 2018 11:41 PM

I constantly get errors when downloading my security prices with quotes and exchange rates hooked up to Alphavantage. Anything going on with that?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by luis.m.domingue... on 16 Aug, 2018 03:49 AM

The real issue is no one from IK has even acknowledged this problem and what they are going to do about it.

I have my own thread on this and they have not responded to that either for over a week.

This is terrible customer service if we need to have the user community come up with functionality that is core to this application and one of the primary reasons I moved to this platform.

I get it if AV is going to change things, but IK should stand by their product and acknowledge the issue and state what they are going to do about it.

BTW, I did test where you can select 4 securities from your list and they will update. Now I just need to figure out what the time period is until I can do another batch of 4.

2. 32 Posted by aforkosh on 16 Aug, 2018 04:26 AM

AlphaVantage is claiming to allow 5 calls in a minute at the free level (see https://www.alphavantage.co/premium/#), but I usually see failure on the 5th call. The only way I have had any success with the Updater is to submit a maximum of 4 codes and wait at least a minute before submitting 4 more. That's fine if you have a small number of securities to update, but not if you have more than 20 or so.

3. 33 Posted by sth on 18 Aug, 2018 03:40 PM

Yes, this is the cat and mouse game that AV is playing with developers. This was supposed to avoid that by not using Yahoo and obeying their terms of service instead of working around them as hleOFXQuotes does. AV is flaky but I do not know how other developers are handing the same issue. Q used to have their own quote server that was sometimes wonky and I suppose that they paid for a source for quotes. However that model has led to annual software fees.

Not clear exactly how See Finance or other packages have dealt with this change in the last year or so.

4. Support Staff 34 Posted by Ian O on 22 Aug, 2018 02:05 PM

Hi All,

Sorry to hear you're encountering issues while using Moneydance. Alpha Vantage have introduced a new premium service, the details of which can be seen on their website here - https://www.alphavantage.co/premium/

We needed to make some adjustment in the extension so it can accommodate this new service and prices can download smoothly. Downloading may appear a bit slower in the new version but shouldn't result in errors, this is because Alpha Vantage's free service allows 5 requests per minute. We have just published v1020 of the extension. This version should improve things for some customers but we're still tweaked the extension and hope to release an optimised version soon. I'll ensure you're all notified when this new version is available.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 35 Posted by billgracie19 on 22 Aug, 2018 02:37 PM

Ian,

Just downloaded 36 security prices with v1020 and it worked without any errors. Takes a bit of time but certainly better that it runs error free.

Thanks,

Bill

6. 36 Posted by Jeremy Berteele on 24 Aug, 2018 12:21 AM

Ian, Thanks for finally weighing in here. Appreciate the updated function
    - looks like a good workaround while you work on the larger solution.

Two suggestions here:
    - First - providing information is as important, if not more important than
    providing the solution. Leaving us hanging for 2 weeks with no
    acknowledgement of the issue makes us question the commitment to the
    product. Letting us know these are valid issues and you have them in a
    backlog to work allows us to plan around the defects.
    - Can you consider a GUI or log that shows the progress of the price
    updates so we know when it is complete?

Thanks

7. 37 Posted by conrodi on 24 Aug, 2018 04:48 PM

Well it works again. Thanks. But one quote every 30-35 seconds is AWFUL.

I agree with Jeremy's comment. Please let us know if you are actually working on such a show-stopper issue. Somehow! Please!

8. 38 Posted by sth on 25 Aug, 2018 02:14 AM

I doubt that there is much that IK can do about it. A lot of the options mentioned are nice web page displays but not an interface for downloading into other programs. Others are stocks only, or US only, or limited in some other way.

The only thing that IK can do is try to hack around the Yahoo download block. This can be done and will work until Yahoo decides it is enough trouble to extend their block. This is the approach hleOFXQuotes does and it is small enough that it does not trigger Yahoo into a rewrite.

The company Q used to maintain their own server and paid for data source (or used Yahoo), now they have gone to a subscription model with ongoing fees to have access to your data (and downloads). I am not sure IK is big enough to do this.

Others have started charging annual fees as well. It is the monetization of information. It is intended by AV to be so slow as to force you into a paid service. I wondered what their eventual business model was. However their data quality is so low that I doubt that many would find it worth the cost.

I am not IK, I don't speak for IK, they would probably disown me if they could :-) so take this as just my personal $0,02 worth.

9. Support Staff 39 Posted by Ian O on 25 Aug, 2018 10:33 AM

Hi,

With the introduction of the Alpha Vantage premium service, a free API key will now only allow 5 requests per minute, and unfortunately this can't be increased without a premium API key. If you decide to use Alpha Vantage's paid for service, the new Quotes and Exchange Rates extension will download quotes faster.

We're still working on finding and adding additional sources for the extension, but it's been hard for us to find reliable sources that will allow downloads with no cost for our customers.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

10. 40 Posted by Jeremy Berteele on 25 Aug, 2018 03:31 PM

Just tried to use this am. It's back to not doing anything again - I hit
    update and no indication that anything happens. 10 mins later nothing has
    updated. Back to my comment the other day, it would be helpful to at least
    have a log to understand what is happening or not happening to set
    expectation. While updating slowly is not ideal, i could deal with it
    right now if I at least knew what the status and progress was. Right now,
    I am again dead in the water.

11. 41 Posted by yash on 25 Aug, 2018 03:41 PM

Just installed the latest Stock Price update extension. Congratulations and Thank You. It would appear that you have successfully arrived at a compromise solution that works. While it may be slower with the "free" api key, it now works. Overall its better than doing 5 tickers at a time manually and waiting 2 minutes in between. Since it does it in the background, most people should not notice. While you probably can't tell us, I presume you arrived at a throttling arrangement with the Alphavantage data provider that does not limit us while at the same time not overloading their service. If someone wants faster, then they can pay extra for the privilege. I guess the days of free Yahoo stock price data will never return. Cursed, money hungry corporations who in turn pay salaries, bonuses, taxes, and buy goods and services from other companies. Of course it would have been better if they had come up with a compromise solution as well, rather than shutting down the old Yahoo service API without notice and forcing everyone to scramble.

12. 42 Posted by sth on 25 Aug, 2018 04:34 PM

It works for me this AM. @jeremy try looking at Help -> Console Log and you should see each HTTP request to AV and if it updates the security.

AFAIK, IK just throttled their requests to 1 and wait 30 seconds and repeat. This can take 10 min for 20 quotes. But it is way below the restrictions for AV and should work.

Also I should note that there is a progress printout at the bottom of the window. This will show each security symbol and the latest date and price as they update. The status stays for a bout 5 seconds and then is erased. This will appear every 30 seconds while updating with a summary at the end.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac