OFX format from NatWest has changed - card statement credits being downloaded as negative debits

DaveR

09 Jul, 2018 04:42 PM

I have just spent ages with NatWest but they refuse to admit there's a problem at their end. Every month I have an automated direct debit to pay off my NatWest credit card - so a debit appears on my current account statement and a corresponding credit appears on my card statement. This shows correctly in on-line banking and my account balances are correctly updated, the problem comes when I download both account statements in a single OFX file and import it into Moneydance.
This used to work perfectly and has done for years. However for the past 2 months the OFX file has changed. There used to appear a debit for the current account and a credit for the card account but now 2 identical debits appear for both accounts, i.e. what used to be, e.g. <TRNTYPE>CREDIT</TRNTYPE><DTPOSTED>2018xxxx</DTPOSTED><TRNAMT>123.45</TRNAMT> has now become <TRNTYPE>DEBIT</TRNTYPE><DTPOSTED>2018xxxx</DTPOSTED><TRNAMT>-123.45</TRNAMT>. The statement in the current account section of the OFX file has remained the same, it is exactly the same as the DEBIT above.
So the question is - should Moneydance be treating a DEBIT with a -ve amount as a credit to the account? If it did then everything would be okay. Now I have to dig out a text editor and manually change the statement in the credit card section of the OFX file to make it a CREDIT with a +ve amount. If I don't then Moneydance records it as a charge on the card account, same as a purchase I've made with the card, whereas it sould be reducing the card balance.
It makes no difference if I download the current account and credit card account statements separately, the card account statement is at fault.
Has there been a recent change in the "official" OFX file format that's caused this? Has anyone else with NatWest card and current accounts seen this? Ideas anyone?

1. 1 Posted by DaveR on 09 Jul, 2018 04:52 PM

Just realised myself that all <DEBIT> transactions have a -ve number so not sure how this can be fixed. For info here is the actual transaction from the card statement downloaded from NatWest (the statement which is paying into the card account funds transferred from my current account), with the amount changed:
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT</TRNTYPE>
    <DTPOSTED>20180705</DTPOSTED>
    <TRNAMT>-123.45</TRNAMT>
    <FITID>201807050001</FITID>
    <NAME>DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT - THANK YOU</NAME>
    </STMTTRN>
    Previously this was a <CREDIT> with a -ve amount. Apart from the "DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT - THANK YOU" I don't see how this could be distinguished from any other transaction on the card. This must be a problem at NatWest but how to convince them or even get through to anyone who understands what I'm talking about.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jenny on 10 Jul, 2018 10:55 AM

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've encountered.

I have received reports of this from two other NatWest customers. Both have reported this problem with credit card downloads via OFX.

One customer said -

''After many attempts, I called Natwest and they finally told me that there are indeed issues with downloads from the Online Banking site in UK. They advised that they are working on a solution currently. I also verified the issue by downloading CSV files from the online banking site, and they also showed the problem..."

"...No, Natwest did not give a timescales only an acknowledgement that the issue exists. I asked, when will I know if the issue is fixed but I didn’t really get a definite reply to that question."

I've asked this customer to let me know which department/team they spoke with when the issue was acknowledged - I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

3. System closed this discussion on 09 Oct, 2018 11:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac