value of 100 when inputting dividends

exigent

25 Jun, 2018 07:43 PM

I've seen several discussions of this problem, but when I manually input dividend payments, Moneydance fills in "100" for the price. I've seen statements that this is just a placeholder, but in other discussions it has been described as a bug and (I think) was reportedly fixed.

I'm seeing this behavior on the current stable version (1671) as well as the latest preview release (1685) on a Mac running High Sierra (10.13.2).

Also, when I view the price history of affected securities (Security Detail view) it shows little circles with a plus (kind of like crosshairs in a rifle scope) for these instances, and when I hover over it, I see: "? 0.00 @ $100.00"

What's going on?

EDIT: See the following link for an example of what I'm talking about in the price history graph. Unfortunately, that discussion was closed without a single response from support (or anyone else, for that matter).

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/38155-dividend-transfer-price-history-graph-in-securities-detail-window

1. 1 Posted by exigent on 26 Jun, 2018 05:12 PM

Here is another link to someone with the same (unresolved) graphing problem:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/2129-securities-detail-graph

It would be nice if there was some sort of definitive response to this issue, as opposed to a discussion that leads nowhere followed by the conversation being closed without resolution.

Help?

2. 2 Posted by exigent on 26 Jun, 2018 05:32 PM

Also: I have tried deleting and re-creating affected transactions and it doesn't fix the graphing problem. And I have gone into Securities Detail > History, selected Clear All, and then Import... (using the "Import From Transactions" option). Not only does the problem recur when I do this, but I also lose lots of historical pricing data. Fortunately, I did it using a backup so there was no permanent harm.

But... The problem persists.

3. 3 Posted by sth on 27 Jun, 2018 01:11 AM

The price is correct if there is a buy (i.e. dividend reinvestment). There is no reason that the dividend price should be included on the graph since it is not a transaction with a price. As far as I know, there has never been a commitment to "fix" this problem.

This is just a weird decision to put dividends on a price graph where they don't belong.

If you have a dividend reinvestment then the price will be correct and show a buy at that price as it should.

4. 4 Posted by exigent on 27 Jun, 2018 01:17 AM

Thanks for reply. After digging a bit further, the plot thickens...

I see this behavior for one security in the account in question, but not for others. Yeah, they all have that silly, greyed out 100 in the register when I record a DIV transaction. That's annoying, but whatever. But this one security also has the weird crosshair points on the graph corresponding to DIV payouts at a $100 value on the y-axis. But the other securities don't, even though they have the same types of transactions associated with them.

So it seems like this isn't just a weird decision by the developers, it's an unpredictable behavior.

Since this forum is really the only avenue for support, it would be nice if we could get a semi-prompt response from someone at Infinite Kind...

5. 5 Posted by sth on 27 Jun, 2018 01:45 AM

You will only see the dividend cross hair points when the security price covers a range that includes 100. The dividend "price" is fictional and doesn't change the price scale. It is predictable but perhaps not what you want.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Sean Reilly on 07 Jul, 2018 08:27 PM

Hi Exigent,

Can you try the latest preview build at https://infinitekind.com/preview ? It should fix those crosshair points and not show the ones that are irrelevant, as in it omits the crosshairs from transactions that don't actually add or remove any shares.

Thanks,

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

7. 7 Posted by exigent on 08 Jul, 2018 03:15 PM

I can confirm that this (the errant crosshairs in the graph of security prices) has been fixed in v2017.8 (1787). The dummy "100" share value still appears in the register for cash dividend transactions, but doesn't affect any calculations.

8. 8 Posted by sth on 12 Jul, 2018 09:58 PM

Sean, however I just notice one more issue with the plotting. Splits are not accounted for when plotting buy prices and cross hairs. For example buying stock A at $50/share last year, and having it split at 10:1 and now at 6 a share makes the plot go from $5 to $6 on the y-axis (range) but the purchase green crosshair is now missing since it is up at $50 and off range.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Jul, 2018 10:18 PM

Great catch, sth! That's now been corrected for build 1688 which will be available on the preview site shortly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

10. 10 Posted by sth on 14 Jul, 2018 06:41 PM

Still don't seem my purchase on the one mutual fund that had a 10:1 split in May. The purchase was a few years ago but other funds show the small green cross hair. The fund is Fidelity OTC portfolio (symbol FOCP).

11. 11 Posted by sth on 14 Jul, 2018 07:09 PM

Just for debugging, here is an example with the 10:1 split in May. I made (fictitious) buy of 100 shares on 1/10 and then sold half on 7/10. There was a split on 5/12. I see the sell marker on the security detail but not the buy.
    MD 2017.8 (1688), Mac OS X 10.11.6

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Sep, 2018 11:25 PM
21 Sep, 2018 11:18 PM
21 Sep, 2018 11:06 PM