Cannot Update Security Prices using 'Quotes and Exchange Rates' Extension

Nick Knobil

16 Jun, 2018 12:35 PM

I'm using MD 2017.7.1 (1671), and the problem of updating security prices has reoccured.

Using AlphaAdvantage. which worked okay for a time (sometimes it took a couple of attempts), but now it updates security prices for the first 7-10 (random) securities and then errors out on the rest.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Nick

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by sth on 08 Jul, 2018 07:44 PM

I think that v1018 is just the one with the long delay between blocks of N securities to keep AV happy. It appears that Sean just tweaked the timing for 5 securities instead of 6 and bumped the version to show it wasn't the same as the beta.
    https://bitbucket.org/infinitekind/moneydance_open/commits/all
    "updated Alphavantage connection in Quotes and Rates extension to have a long delay (15 seconds) after every 5 connections instead of 6." AV is really a pain with their throttling.

2. 32 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Jul, 2018 08:28 PM

Thanks sth

3. 33 Posted by PC2MAC on 02 Aug, 2018 11:49 PM

Sean, looks like AV has made yet another change to their system and the majority of my quotes don't update any more. I am using v 1018 on 2017.7 (1670). I would be willing to pay an additional fee if you could find a reliable, accurate source that supplied closing prices (including for mutual funds) in a timely manner (i.e. same day). I have read Derekkent23's process and determined that's not an alternative for me. Thanks.

4. 34 Posted by madrignola on 13 Aug, 2018 12:15 PM

I am hoping someone can help me. I have been struggling with this for some time. I have given up on using the Quotes and Rates extension, even with Alphavantage. All I want to do is set US Dollars to Thai Baht. My base currency is Thai baht. But my income is in US Dollars. I have tried doing it manually, but for some reason it disappears and resets my currency to 1 Thai Baht = 1 US Dollar. If I go to the currency history, it shows dates in the future. That doesn't make any sense. If I delete those future dates and set today's date, I can get it to work. But after a time, the rate falls off and I have to perform the same steps again. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I do have some entries in the future in the base currency that I anticipate spending, could that have something to do with it?

This has been so confusing and frustrating.

5. 35 Posted by Ian O on 22 Aug, 2018 03:08 PM

Hi All,

Sorry to hear you're encountering issues while using Moneydance. Alpha Vantage have introduced a new premium service, the details of which can be seen on their website here - https://www.alphavantage.co/premium/

We needed to make some adjustment in the extension so it can accommodate this new service and prices can download smoothly. Downloading may appear a bit slower in the new version but shouldn't result in errors, this is because Alpha Vantage's free service allows 5 requests per minute. We have just published v1020 of the extension. You can download this version within Moneydance by navigating to Extensions --> Manage Extensions, where you'll see the option to 'Update' next to the Quotes and Exchange Rates entry. This version should improve things for some customers but we're still tweaked the extension and hope to release an optimised version soon. I'll ensure you're notified when this new version is available.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 36 Posted by Stephanie on 01 Sep, 2018 02:38 AM

Now Quotes and Exchange Rate Extension has entirely stopped working, before would get about 1/4 of my securities updated. With new version (v1020) it just gets stuck on "downloading securities prices" and nothing happens. Very disappointing. Important piece of the Moneydance software for me and it hasn't been working properly ever since Yahoo quit providing service - that's been a LONG time and the issue still hasn't been resolved. Any new solutions on the horizon?

7. 37 Posted by sth on 01 Sep, 2018 02:40 AM

It seems to be working for me. Look at the the Help->Console Log and see if it is sending the http requests and getting replies.

8. 38 Posted by Steph on 01 Sep, 2018 03:13 AM

Got it to sort of work now, but incredibly slow, about a minute per security!

9. 39 Posted by madrignola on 01 Sep, 2018 03:15 AM

The AlphaAdvantage premium support package discussed above costs a minimum of $20 a month. Ouch. Frankly, I won't be paying that.

I don't need this information that badly. Not worth it for me. I don't have stocks, just wanted an updated exchange rate for US dollars to Thai baht. I will make do entering it manually. So be it.

This was working before the introduction of the premium package. As usual, if you want something to work right, you have to throw money at it.

10. 40 Posted by sth on 01 Sep, 2018 05:12 PM

It seems to be working with the latest preview version of MD and the latests V1020 of the extensions. One of the changes was to reduce it to 1/min to keep it in the AV free zone. I am willing to wait the 1/minute to get daily stock prices, I tell it to update and then go grab a beer! If you just want one currency to update, delete all the other currencies and set the stock price download to none.

Agreed that the AV pricing is very high for what they provide. I just hear a bunch of folks on this board say that they would not mind paying for a better download system. That seems to be the going price.

TANSTAAFL

11. 41 Posted by Andrew on 29 Sep, 2018 12:48 AM

Confirming that v1020 seems to work. A suggestion for v1021, though: Please make the request rates user-configurable, maybe via the "advanced" option in the Q&ER Settings dialog. "Send X API requests every Y seconds" would be fine. As it is, if Alphavantage tightens their throttling again, there's nothing we users can do about it except wait for a new version.

(It would be nice if we could indicate which currencies to query, too.)

12. 42 Posted by Tony Blunt on 30 Sep, 2018 10:10 PM

There is a very effective system for getting quotes developed for Moneydance at

https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/downloads/

It gets quotes from Yahoo or FT, stocks, mutual funds and currencies (even, I believe, cryptocurrencies).

It also can be configured to run automatically.

13. 43 Posted by dwg on 30 Sep, 2018 10:19 PM

For information on the Quote Loader system see:

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

14. 44 Posted by -Kevin N. on 30 Sep, 2018 10:31 PM

For the most recent version of the PDF, (currently v.4.0) see post # 100:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac