Can the default categorization of transactions be controlled?

djxb2000-1

14 Jun, 2018 03:00 AM

Every transaction at my supermarket gets categorized as Gift-Personal and I have to manually change it to Groceries, because ONCE three years ago I categorized something I bought there as a personal gift.

Because this is getting tiresome I've done everything I can think of to get Moneydance to stop doing this:

1) I went back and changed the single old transaction to Groceries, so that every transaction in the file for this store was now categorized as such. The next one still automatically got Personal Gift.

2) I created a new category Gift-Personal, changed everything in the whole file which was categorized as Personal Gift to Gift-Personal, and deleted the category Personal Gift. Now all the new transactions are being assigned to Gift-Personal even though there was never a record in the file for this store having that category.

Not a big deal but I wish I didn't have to do this four or five times a week. Is there any way I can control how these assignments are made?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 14 Jun, 2018 11:52 AM

Hi djxb2000-1,

Q. How are the Supermarket transaction entered into your register; manually or downloaded & imported?

Q. If downloaded & imported, are you Confirming the transactions?

Q. If importing & Confirming, are you not offered a Supermarket:Groceries Payee:Category combination from the list of 'Similar Payees' on the Confirmation sidebar?

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by djxb2000-1 on 19 Jun, 2018 12:30 AM

Kevin,

The transactions are downloaded. I never realized that the 'Similar Payees' could be used to change the category. Thanks very much!

3. djxb2000-1 closed this discussion on 19 Jun, 2018 12:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac