Clearing History of all Securities

jason

10 Jun, 2018 06:39 AM

Hello,
It appears that all of the historical prices associated with securities that I have i my database have been corrupted. I don't know if this is due to the recent problems with downloading history or some other reason.

Essentially, I would like to know if there is a way to clear the History from all of the securities that are in my database, except for going through each of them individually and selecting "History" and then selecting "Clear All"

Many Thanks

Jason

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jun, 2018 08:09 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Hi Jason

As far as I know there is no global way to clear security price data.
    Do you have any backups you could restore that were taken before the problem occurred?
    Do you believe the problem was created by invalid data supplied by Alpha Vantage?

2. 2 Posted by jason on 10 Jun, 2018 12:05 PM

Hi Derek,

Backups are there, however just as quick to go back and delete all if the historical prices from securities that are causing problems.

Cannot definitively say that corrupt data from AlphaVantage was this issue however it does all appear to start at the time when the securities Updater stopped working and then the data was changed to AV

Thanks

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jun, 2018 03:19 PM

Hi Jason

The reason I asked was that Alpha Vantage wrecked the history of some of my securities, just provided invalid prices. Being a UK investor, I found that on some other funds Alpha Vantage kept switching between pence and pounds.

I now use a free stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is actively supporting this software and has adapted it to work with Moneydance. More feature in the pipeline. The current build is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include obtaining quote for stocks & funds, from many stock exchanges US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. You can also import exchange rates along with your security prices. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers.

Take a look at his thread and download the PDF outlining how to use the program and link to download the program. Post 190 in this thread.
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Let me know how this program performs for you and post if you have any problems.

Hope this helps

4. 4 Posted by jason on 11 Jun, 2018 12:53 PM

Hi Derek,

I have read through that previously and used the program, but it does get a bit finicky when importing US stock information into a database that is set in Australian Dollars as the base currency and an US$ Investment account.

I have just decided to give up on using MD to track my investment performance from day to day / month to month and just use the above reference program to import information every 3 months or so.

I have to day, I am about done with MD. The file size has bloated recently (potentially due to AlphaAdvantage info) and seems to becoming unstable.

I have tried to recreate the date base by exporting .QIF files and importing them into a new data base, and whilst that works there are too many small differences between the 2 for me to really trust the new Database.

I will open a conversation on shrinking the file size.

Thanks for your responses

Jason

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Jun, 2018 07:18 PM

Hi Jason

Sorry to hear you have run into so many problems.

When using the hleOfxQuotes program I presume you have set the default currency to Australian Dollars under EDIT – QUOTES – CURRENCY. Is the finicky bit having to add an attribute to securities quoted in US$ to prevent their quotes being converted into Australian Dollars? For example, Apply Inc (AAPL) would need to be AAPL/USD/USD. At least you only have to do this setup once. You can save your list of securities as a text file for the next time. If this is not the issue you had with the hleOfxQuotes program then can I ask you to take the time to elaborate, thanks.

I use the hleOfxQuotes program to update my security price on the last trading date of each month. Before the hleOfxQuotes program was available I updated manually. The securities I hold change over time and go back to 2008 and average about 45 at a time. This is in addition to about 40 bank types account going back to 17 years with an average of 5 open at one time. All imported from MS Money back in 2015. This information is leading to my data set size which is currently 5.61MB. I maintain two identical data sets in parallel, one syncing to another computer and a phone, the other is not set to sync.

The last time my data set on the none syncing computer increased to just over 10MB I set syncing to Dropbox Folder, waited for Dropbox icon to confirm the “.moneydancesync” file had been created, then set syncing to don’t sync again and then closed Moneydance and deleted the “.moneydancesync” folder and the data set was reduced by about half to the size of my syncing data set, just over 5MB. I have read this has worked for others but not all.

If you start another thread on this subject can I suggest you post the version and build of Moneydance, your computer operating system, if you are syncing, data set size and attached your errlog.txt file as well as any other information you feel is relevant.

Anyway, if you can provide feedback on the hleOfxQuotes program it could help improve the program for the future.

Thanks

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Aug, 2018 11:11 AM
19 Aug, 2018 10:22 AM
19 Aug, 2018 04:54 AM