Archiving Data

Patrick Litton

24 May, 2018 05:48 PM

There is a closed thread on "Archiving data destroyed my account balances" - http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/21148-archiving-data-destroyed-my-account-balances

This issue dates back to 2015 and various questions were raised throughout 2016 & 2017. The discussion was then closed without resolution - as have all the previous discussions and requests for this feature.

Speaking as an accountant, it is simple to cumulate data to a point in time - I do this in spreadsheets all the time for reporting (including investments, which were stated as the issue), so I am puzzled that it seems beyond a more sophisticated piece of software.

The issue was described as high priority but there has been no apparent advance on this since then.

Can you provide an update on if (or when) the archiving feature will be restored? If it will never be provided, I would like to know so that I can look for alternatives to Moneydance, which I otherwise like very much.

1. 1 Posted by sth on 24 May, 2018 10:37 PM

I think the problem is in investments losing their "lots" information when you archive and remove old transactions. This is data that can't be cumulated to a point in time, but must be retained historically. But this is just a guess, I haven't archived any of my data and it goes back to 1998. The file gets big but not too slow on my 9 year old Mac...

2. 2 Posted by Patrick on 08 Jun, 2018 07:38 AM

I can understand the need to retain “lots” for investments - although in the UK, once 30 days are up, pooling is used for tax purposes. However, I would not have thought it insurmountable to have lots retained four investments only. My issue really arises because I have large numbers of historical investment transactions many years ago (7+) which I no longer need and I can’t expunge the data easily. I just dislike clutter and unnecessary distraction.

3. 3 Posted by Patrick on 19 Jul, 2018 02:44 PM

Any update on this? I notice I have been asking about this since 2015 and there seems to be no nearer solution. I can't be the only one thinking the ability to close off years might be useful.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

19 Aug, 2018 11:11 AM
19 Aug, 2018 10:22 AM
19 Aug, 2018 04:54 AM