Random graphs for securities - i.e. not matching the records

UxR

12 May, 2018 05:53 PM

MoneyDance seems to generate random historical graphs for SOME of my securities (not all) that doesn't match my records. See attached example on BRK.B where I have downloaded historical data using AlphaVantage going back for the last 5 months, yet the graph extends further.

Anyone has any idea what is feeding data for the rest of the graph? Has anyone seen similar in theirs and managed to get to the root cause?

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by sth on 12 May, 2018 07:53 PM

Check the securities list you may have two different entries for BRK.B or BRK-B (they do get confused).

2. 2 Posted by UxR on 13 May, 2018 07:49 PM

Hi sth. Thanks for the reply.

This isn't the issue - only one entry for the security there.

I have the same issue with some (but not all) other securities as well - including "made up" securities that I use for tracking the value of my pension funds. In all cases, MD creates a random history chart that extends way into the past without anything to base that on...

3. 3 Posted by sth on 13 May, 2018 08:07 PM

Well then to me it seems to be that you have a corrupted data file and are living dangerously. I would try remove all for BRK.B and then download and import using the current Q&ER extension. That will go back 6 months. I might do this for the other problematic securities. It does appear that your data for BRK.B is not real values.

For Mac and linux users there is an easy trick to download and update back to the maximum AlphaVantage has or 20 years if you need an older historical record.

4. 4 Posted by UxR on 31 May, 2018 06:40 PM

Hi sth.

Still the same corruption.

In fact, the above screenshot was taken after just adding BRK.B, doing an Alphavantage quote update for latest prices (which only updated history for the last 6 months as per the screenshot) and recording 1 purchase.

Interestingly, in that same Investment account, I have one other security that shows the SAME past graph beyond the downloaded quotes from Alphavantage. Coincidence?

Unrelated question - how do you get Alphavantage to download 20 years of data? It seems to download only the last 6 months for me....

thanks.

5. 5 Posted by UxR on 31 May, 2018 06:52 PM

To illustrate my above point, I just went and added Facebook stock (FB) to MoneyDance and ran the AlphaVantage update on it to get as much past date on it as I could - it loaded past 6 months.

I don't own FB, never have, and this is the first time I have added it to MoneyDance. This was a random stock added to showcase this point to you.

See the screenshot attached - not only the graph extends beyond the earliest security quote, it is actually THE SAME graph that has been added to my BRK.B stock earlier.

Interestingly, as I have multiple Investment Accounts, I get random graphs added to some of my other securities (but not all). In a different investment account with 9 securities in it, 2 of them show a random past graph. That graph is different to the one that I have attached in the BRK.B/FB screenshots, however, it is again COMMON to those two securities associated with that specific Investment Account.

Has no one else been seeing this in their accounts? I would love to get to the bottom of this.

6. 6 Posted by sth on 01 Jun, 2018 01:48 AM

I looked at the RAW data from AV. At least for my security it actually puts the adjusted price in the closing price column. This is for both the AV TIME_SERIES_DAILY and TIME_SERIES_ADJUSTED. It seems inconsistent that they report the RAW and the ADJUSTED the same. They don't even seem to show the split coefficient.

There isn't much that MD can do with such corrupted data source.

7. System closed this discussion on 31 Aug, 2018 01:50 AM.

8. UxR re-opened this discussion on 10 Nov, 2018 12:46 PM

9. 7 Posted by UxR on 10 Nov, 2018 12:46 PM

For what is worth, I have figured this out - MD assumes the oldest stock price to be constant going backwards and applies the relevant historical FX rate to it from the currency section. Hence why it only happens with securities that are denominated in non-base currencies. In short, there is no problem.

I guess this makes sense from the software's point of view, although it is confusing for the user. Could there be an option implemented to show the graph only for the portion of the history that user has inputted historical data?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2018-05-12_at_18.37.00.png 253 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac