Quotes and Exchange Rates Updater switches between pence and pounds for LSE

Albason

11 May, 2018 06:09 AM

Hi there,
Am I doing something wrong? I can set values for individual funds and trust prices to be in £ or in pence for the LSE as appropriate but then next time I update these settings turn out to be wrong and I have to switch £ to pence or vice versa for each fund or trust to get the right values. Is this to do with Alphavantage? Is there some setting I have to adjust so I always get the appropriate price, pence or £. It's giving me a lot of work each update I do.
Many thanks for your advice,
Albason

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 May, 2018 06:42 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am a UK investor and have found that Alpha Vantage provide very poor support for UK/Irish/Luxenberg etc, domiciled funds. I have remove the Q & ER extension as I was also getting inaccurate data messing up the price history for some of the securities it could find data on. A major problem being that on some funds the prices keep switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds.

I am currently using a free stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is actively supporting this software and has adapted it to work with Moneydance. More feature in the pipeline. This current build very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include obtaining quote for stocks & funds, from many stock exchanges US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. You can also import exchange rates along with your security prices. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers.

Take a look at his thread and download the PDF outlining how to use the program and link to download the program. Post 122 in this thread.
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Let us know how this program performs for you and post if you have any problems.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by ALISTAIR CHARLE... on 11 May, 2018 03:42 PM

Hi Derek,
    Many thanks indeed for this. It may take me a while to understand how to use it but I will let you know how I get on.
    As you can imagine the Alpha Vantage system randomly switching between pence and pounds is driving me up the wall!
    Best wishes,

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 May, 2018 04:11 PM

Hi Alistair

For most people it simple to use. The hardest part is often finding the correct symbol for a security. As a UK investor try FT first and if you have a problem with the symbol try the link in the PDF to their site. Any problems just post, including if you can’t get a symbol to work, post symbol and security name.

Out of interest what computer operating system is on your computer, Windows, Mac, Linux? Some Mac users have reported problems using Mikes Security Price and History Loader extensions but have had success with the QIF import method to import data into Moneydance.

HAVE FUN

4. 4 Posted by gandrews82 on 11 May, 2018 04:54 PM

yes, same issue for me. the alpha vantage price feed varies according to the time of day and day of the week you are running it, but there is no pattern, so no point in trying to set some securities to expect prices in pence or pounds. the previous yahoo feed seems to have had a way to normalise for this.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 May, 2018 05:55 PM

Hi gandrews82

Try out the stand-alone program and you want have any Pence to Pound issues.
    See post 122 at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...
    Let us know how you get on.
    Any problems just post, including if you can’t get a symbol to work, post symbol and security name.

Hope this helps

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 May, 2018 03:52 AM
20 May, 2018 01:58 AM
20 May, 2018 01:13 AM