Importing to Moneydance on Mac

Brenda Tomaras

26 Apr, 2018 10:11 PM

I have had Moneydance for years on my PC, tablet and iPhone. I use the Dropbox syncing. I just purchased the Moneydance app for a Mac but am unable to import my existing accounts because it cannot find the Moneydance file in Dropbox.

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 26 Apr, 2018 10:53 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The method of sharing moneydance data on desktop/notebook class machines varies depending on the version of Moneydance that you are using.

So you should start by telling us the version you are using on your PC.

2. 2 Posted by Brenda Tomaras on 26 Apr, 2018 10:55 PM

Thank you. I will find that out when I’m back in the office tomorrow and will supplement.

Brenda

3. 3 Posted by Brenda Tomaras on 30 Apr, 2018 09:59 PM

The version is 2015.5

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 30 Apr, 2018 10:42 PM

I'm a fellow user.

You will need to be using the same Moneydance version on both machines. Previous version can be obtained from:

http://infinitekind.com/previous-versions-of-moneydance

With Moneydance 2015 you can follow the following instruction set:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/archive-program-basics/archive-shar...

If you ever upgrade to Moneydance 2017 you must stop using this method and switch to the inbuilt syncing engine, otherwise data corruption would be a possibility. The method described in the above article is only for Moneydance 2015 and earlier.

5. 5 Posted by Brenda Tomaras on 30 Apr, 2018 10:48 PM

Thank you.

6. 6 Posted by jeff on 01 May, 2018 08:02 PM

Hi Brenda,

You probably did not need to buy Moneydance again, as your license key for the 2015 PC version would have worked on the 2015 Mac version. In fact now you will be able to upgrade to the 2017 ver free of charge on both PC & Mac.

However, that was not the main reason for commenting. I'm presuming that as you've been using a Windows PC for some time & that you have recently acquired a new MacBook. If that is the case, the Mac will probably come with MAC OS High Sierra. If you continue to use the 2015 ver of MD you may find you have some issues. It is generally recommended that you use the latest version of MD particularly on the MAC.

I'm obviously making an assumption that your MAC computer is newish. If it's older & running Yosemite or El Capitan you will probably be OK. If you are running one of the earlier MAC operating systems you can disregard the above !!

Jeff - Fellow user.

7. 7 Posted by Brenda Tomaras on 01 May, 2018 08:54 PM

Thank you.

I do have the key, but I’m not very adept with Macs and couldn’t figure out how to install it without buying the app. Now I have the app, but I can’t figure out how to put my license key in for syncing!

8. 8 Posted by sth on 01 May, 2018 09:42 PM

Brenda,
    the License Key is just for using the software. To install the license key follow the directions
    http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/purchasing-and-upgrading/registering

To sync you need to set up a new sync. If you are going to use the Mac as the primary account, just go to the "File" menu item at the top of the screen. Select the "Syncing..." option and then set it up as you did before. You will have to have the secondary systems adopt the new data file as their own.

9. 9 Posted by Brenda Tomaras on 02 May, 2018 04:29 PM

Thank you.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac