Security prices

Bill Schmidt

20 Apr, 2018 09:04 PM

My security prices have not updated since late in October. I have tried various thing sto get them to work again, but to no avail. any suggestios

1. 1 Posted by Bill Schmidt on 20 Apr, 2018 09:07 PM

No, not new securities. I used to get an automatic download every day, supposedly from Yahoo.online. The calculation/download says it works every day, but no securities are updated.

2. 2 Posted by -Kevin N. on 20 Apr, 2018 09:21 PM

Hi Bill,

What version and build number of Moneydance are you using? (menu bar > Help > About Moneydance)

What version of the Q&ER updater extension are you using? (menu bar > Extensions > Manage Extensions > Quotes and Exchange Rates Updater)

Did you purchase Moneydance thru the Moneydance website or the Apple store?

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

3. 3 Posted by William Schmidt on 20 Apr, 2018 11:53 PM

Hi Kevin,

I am using 2014.5 (980

Updater v82

Thanks for trying to help!

Bill

4. 4 Posted by William Schmidt on 20 Apr, 2018 11:54 PM

I don’t remember for sure, but believe I bought it direct from Moneydance; I rarely buy through Apple

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Apr, 2018 12:15 AM

Hi William,

Take a look at this post from forum member derekkent23. He provides a PDF file explaining the use of a third party app called hleofxquotes. Also included is information on using Mike Bray's Security Price Loader.
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

The other option involves upgrading to MD 2017, updating the Q&ER updater and obtaining a free API key from Alphavantage.

TBH the hleofxquotes app and Mike Bray's extension work the best.

Keep in mind that upgrading to MD 2017 will change your data file making it difficult to revert back to MD 2014

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

6. 6 Posted by sth on 21 Apr, 2018 12:18 AM

Yahoo stopped providing free security pricing back in November of 2017. MD now uses a service called AlphaVantage. However this would mean that you need to update MD to version 2017.7 and install the new updater. This is slow and sometimes errors out on securities and seems to be light on coverage for UK securities.

There is an alternative 3rd party system that downloads a file that MD can import to update prices. It does not do historical data but only for the day it is run and does not include High/Low or volume data.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Apr, 2018 08:07 AM

I am not support staff just a user.

A new build of the free stand-alone program to obtain quotes and exchange rates has been released see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

The PDF assumes you are running 2017 so the link to the extension Security Price Loader is not valid for 2014. However, there is a build of the Security Price Loader that will work with 2014, all be it some of the extensions features outlined in the PDF will be missing. I haven’t tested 2014 so can’t confirm you want find any issues. See https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance/wiki/Extensions

Hope this helps

8. 8 Posted by William Schmidt on 22 Apr, 2018 08:52 PM

. Now I am in trouble. I decided to take sth's first option. Bought and installed the 2017 upgrade version. That seemed to work OK. Then went to Alphavantage and got a key. Typed in the key, and then when I tried to update, the program locked up, said I had a problem with this message

and this keeps coming up every time I try to open Moneydance. I have to get rid of it via Force Quit.

Bill

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Apr, 2018 09:21 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

I sounds like like you have a old out of date extension installed. Can you click EXTENSIONS - MANAGE EXPENSIONS and Remove (uninstall) all extensions.
    If this stops the problem only reinstall the extensions you need.
    If it does not help then you may need to manually remove one or more extensions. If that's the case post a copy of your errlog.txt by creating a file from HELP - CONSOLE WINDOW - SAVE. To help in removing extension we need to know what operating system is you computer running.

10. 10 Posted by sth on 22 Apr, 2018 10:18 PM

If you can't open MD to get to the extensions manager you can remove the extensions by using the finder "Go" menu with the option key held down and opening the "Library" folder. Then navigate to Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Moneydance/fmodules/

From there you can remove all the old extensions. Or even all the extensions and install new copies.

11. 11 Posted by William Schmidt on 23 Apr, 2018 12:55 PM

I’m getting into deeper trouble. I followed your instructions, but didn’t see extension, just data sets. I trashed the old data set (it is still in trash). Now when I open Moneydance, I get the user statement. I click accept, and it either flips off, or takes me to a screen of the old 2014 program. There are two choices. If I click on “open” on the right nothing happens. If I click on the “Open other” button on the left, the application immediately quits. Where to from here?

Bill

12. 12 Posted by sth on 23 Apr, 2018 01:11 PM

make sure you are looking in the "fmodules" folder. That has the extensions.

DO NOT TRASH YOUR CURRENT DATA SET!

Take the old 2014 application and move it to the trash (or zip it up and delete the original).

13. 13 Posted by William Schmidt on 23 Apr, 2018 03:03 PM

There are no extensions in f modules folder.

There is only the 2014 application showing; I did not ever show a newer module. I cannot open that old module. My data sets are still on the desktop; not in trash, but they will not pop back into the 2014 module

Bill

14. 14 Posted by sth on 23 Apr, 2018 05:52 PM

Good. The application should have been moved to the Applications Folder. There is not a "newer module", you should remove the 2014 application from the applications folder and put the 2017 version you are upgrading to in the Applications folder. There should not be MD applications in any other place. Not in the downloads folder for example.

The data sets supposedly have been opened in version 2017 and will not open with the 2014 applicaiton. (Extensions are modules NOT the application). A backup was made of your data when it was updated to the 2017 version.

If you bought and installed the 2017 version as you said, then the 2014 version does not exist, but you are referring to it so I am guessing that you did not fully install the 2017 version.

15. 15 Posted by William Schmidt on 24 Apr, 2018 07:16 PM

Yes, it appears that somehow, the 2017 version was not fully installed, because I just opened a new version, and it had more steps than I went through before.

Now, I have the new 2017 version, with zero data. How do I get the old data into it? I have the data file still separate on the computer, and have not yet deleted anything of the 2014 version—don’t want to lose something prematurely.

Bill

(and thanks for all your help)

16. 16 Posted by sth on 24 Apr, 2018 08:13 PM

Ok, there are two ways.

1. COPY the file to your Documents folder and then double click it, or use the File->Open->Other file to navigate to that file and open it. It should make a copy and create a new version 2017 file.

2. Copy the file into Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Moneydance and MD should find it as a possible file to open and will update it.

Your choice to either put it in the default location or maintain it in your Documents folder. I prefer knowing where the data is but YMMV.

17. 17 Posted by William Schmidt on 25 Apr, 2018 09:21 PM

OK. I am back to square 1 thanks to everyone’s help, but with the new 2017 version, and it seems to work well. But I’m still not seeing new prices. I get a "response code 403 Forbidden" for each security. I have gone to the Extensions Manager, changed the source to Alphaadvantage, typed in my Alpha Key, but still nothing. Perhaps I have not done the Alphaadvantrage download correctly? I got the "daily MSFT.csv” file, and it is in my downloads at present.

Bill

18. 18 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Apr, 2018 09:56 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Can you post a screen shot of the extension so we can see the setting?
    Then run the extension and provide another screen that the error message.
    I have no idea what a MSFT.csv file is, were did it come from?

19. 19 Posted by William Schmidt on 26 Apr, 2018 01:45 PM

The MSFT.csv file is the download from Alphaadvantage. It looks like this:

Now that I see it opened, it doesn’t look like I expected; I thought it would just have the latest price for my (60) open securities. This looks like the history of prices for one of them.

Bill

20. 20 Posted by sth on 26 Apr, 2018 01:54 PM

Bill,
    The extension for MD that uses AlphaVantage does not download a file. It internally captures the data. Somehow you have manually executed the download command for one security (Microsoft).

Starting from scratch, verify that you are running the latest version of MD (2017.7) and the latest version of the extension (Extensions->Manage Extensions) which should be V1015 for the Q&ER extension.

Then run the quote updater (Extensions->Update quotes and exchange rates).

Then look in the console log to make sure that quotes and rates were updated.

21. 21 Posted by William Schmidt on 26 Apr, 2018 02:22 PM

Yes, that is what I have been doing. It is the same as before: “code 403 Forbidden” on each stock. I do note that every time I open the Extensions, it shows that it has flipped from Alphadvantage back to the old Google finance quote source.

Bill

22. 22 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Apr, 2018 03:30 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

If you really can’t get the Q & ER to work for you, although it should have worked after you followed sth’s advice, then perhaps it’s time to cut your losses and try the free stand-alone program to obtain quotes and exchange rates and import the data into Moneydance.

Take a look at his thread and download the PDF outlining how to use the program and link to download the program. Post 122 in this thread.

Let us know how this program performs for you.

Hope this helps

23. 23 Posted by sth on 26 Apr, 2018 04:07 PM

Flipping back to Google is not right. That is probably your problem. I don't have MD open at the moment but you should NOT be able to set Google for stock quotes. If I recall correctly Google is only an option for currency quotes. Make SURE you have the correct version of the extension. Possibly delete it and update it again.

24. 24 Posted by William Schmidt on 26 Apr, 2018 11:40 PM

YES!! I DID IT. I am all set. I did two things: I emptied the trash of all the old and duplicate copies that were around. Secondly, I put Alphavanbtage into the currency provider slot as well as the securities slot. It doesn’t give me many currency translations, but I don’t need them. The more important point, was it gave me 57 of my 61 securities—and there always were a few errors there. I’m done. Thanks everybody for your help.

Bill

25. 25 Posted by sth on 27 Apr, 2018 10:03 PM

Yes, that might have confused things. Files are not really gone when in the trash. Not sure why AlphaVantage has to be in the currency slot. I only have the options "AlphaVantage" and "no update" and I am using No update.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac