Reminders - Entering more than one seems to cause MD to "Hang"

clarkcm2017

13 Feb, 2018 05:29 PM

I am using MD 2017.6 (1656).

I have recently transferred all my Quicken accounts and history to MD and eventually everything is all set up. My file is large (370,000 KB) so I am wondering if that is part of the problem.

I am finding responses from MD are noticeably slow in general (and it takes anything from 45 to 60 seconds to load up from the password entry) . Slowness is possibly OK but what I can't live with is the program going off "into never never land" when you do some entries or switching from one account to, say, the Summary page or to the Reminders page..

So to the point of this specific problem. I have carefully tested entering stored "Reminders" and I have found the following:
Enter one reminder is OK
Enter a second Reminder and the response to enter the transaction takes noticeably longer.
Enter a third Reminder and the system "Hangs" I have waited over 3 minutes and there is still no response.

I am using Windows 10 and the Task manager shows me that MD is using some 1,107 MB of memory (68%) but there is no CPU activity or Disk activity.

This program "hanging", if that is what it,is, or excruciating slow program responses is a deal breaker for me. I can't live with that if this is not a problem and that is how the program is expected to work.

Please help

Charlie

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ian O on 14 Feb, 2018 12:52 PM

Hi Charlie,

Sorry to hear of the issue you have encountered while using Moneydance. We are aware of the latest stable version running slowly on Windows 10 systems. Our lead developer has made a change in the preview version of Moneydance 2017 that should improve things. The latest preview version is Moneydance 2017.7 (1665) and can be downloaded from here. Can you try updating to this version and let me know if the overall performance of Moneydance improves?

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by clarkcm2017 on 14 Feb, 2018 02:37 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow!
    Thank you Ian O, what a difference!
    This version 2017.7 (1665) is what a program should be like. It is loaded in about 20 secs which in itself is way better that the 45 to 60 secs I was seeing before, but much more to the point it switches between accounts "in a flash", loads Reminders seemingly effortlessly etc.

Now, I have one last question for you is it "safe" to add and use the "Reports and Exchange Updater" extension to this "preview" version. I ask because after downloading quotes and exchange rates into the "old" 2017.6 version things seemed to get worse on the response front. That might have been just a coincidence but before using this extension again I wanted to ask (Needless to say I do want to be able to download quotes somehow).

Thank you in anticipation.

Charlie

3. 3 Posted by sth on 14 Feb, 2018 03:40 PM

I assume you mean the "Quotes and Exchange Rate Updater". If so, yes the latest preview build works with the latest version of that (v1012). That can be a lot slower to update the quotes and exchange rates since the provider has a slower hardware than Yahoo. There are still some flaky problems with the extension which will get shut off if it asks for too many quotes too quickly. But it does work. If you see a drastic slowdown, then you can remove the extension.

4. 4 Posted by clarkcm2017 on 14 Feb, 2018 04:18 PM

sth,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did mean "Quotes" ...don't know what I was thinking ......I guess I was just so excited at getting a well functioning Moneydance.
    I gave it a try and everything still looks good, but yes it is slow to update all my securities.
    Is it easy to download Yahoo data into Moneydance?

Thanks again

Charlie

5. 5 Posted by sth on 14 Feb, 2018 09:16 PM

There is an extension for importing CSV type excel files and you can set up a portfolio in Yahoo and it will download todays data in a spread sheet. But I don't do that since I am not willing to list my portfolio with Yahoo since I don't trust their security.

The Quotes and Exchange Rate extension uses a service called AlphaVantage. AV has some quirks especially with foreign currencies and british pounds vs. pence, but for me it works reasonably well. You have to get an API Key from Alpha Vantage but the MD extension will send you to the correct place to get such a code.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Feb, 2018 09:15 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

There is a stand-alone program that works very well for obtaining quotes and exchange rates. The data can then be imported into Moneydance. Take a look at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Hope this helps

7. 7 Posted by clarkcm2017 on 15 Feb, 2018 01:34 PM

sth,
    Thank you for the response and I guess I agree with you about putting my investments "out there" with Yahoo or any one else for that matter. I am not a fan of anything in the "cloud". That is why I chose a computer based money program like Moneydance to manage my finances.
    I already have my API key and have successfully downloaded quotes with AlphaVantage.

derekkent23,

Thank you for your suggestion too. I will certainly give Hleofxquotes a try too.

Best Regards

Charlie

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac